Anybody else concerned by Bush's statement to S Korean Pres?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070907/ap_on_re_au_an/bush

recap:

Bush: let’s end the Korean War
Roh: Oh, no he didn’t!!! huh?
Bush: let’s end the Korean War
Roh: say what?
Bush: “I can’t make it any more clear, Mr. President. We look forward to the day when we can end the Korean War. That will end — will happen when Kim verifiably gets rid of his weapons programs and his weapons.”

1. Does he seriously think that claiming that we are still at war with Korea is going to fly in Congress?

2. He can’t possibly be so out of touch not to realize what signing a treaty now with the U.S. would signal to other U.S. hating countries.

We can’t fight five wars at the same time. So if we want to go into Iran, we probably need to end the Korean War and also World War I.

This was probably a screwed up diplomatic moment, but it didn’t come out of the blue.

North Korea policy says they desire a peace treaty. They have been operating under a cease fire since the 1950s, and they say they do not consider this good enough. The lack of a formal peace feeds their seige mentality. Whether they actually want one, or whether they use this as yet another excuse to keep their population under their thumb because the war never really ended, is anyone’s guess.

Bush has said in the past that a peace treaty might follow a resolution of the nuclear issue. Now that this might be resolved to a degree, he might be calling the North Korean regime’s bluff on the peace treaty.

Let’s just see. Like I said, infelicitous diplomacy there (or maybe not) but it came from policies we have been pursuing for a long time - even dating back to the last administration.

How exactly would the war end? I could be mistaken, but I thought the parties in that war were North Korea and the United Nations, not North Korea and the United States. Would a peace treaty be between the UN and North Korea?

I was hoping this would come up.

I am really, really confused about what happened.

Would someone mind ‘‘dumbing it down’’ a little, to fight my ignorance?

We are not still at war in Korea. We are still involved in a police action in Korea though.

From what I understand, North and South Korea are still technically in a state of war, and have been for over 40 years. There has been a cease fire, but no formal end to the conflict. I hope someone with more political knowledge will come by to correct me.

From listening to NPR this morning, Roh was trying to embarrass Bush into some sort of concession during what was essentially a photo op. No fan of Bush here, but I thought he handled it just right. I, on the other hand, would have been tempted to give Roh a swift kick in the ass.

PoorYorick, thanks for the info. But what I don’t get is how Bush would have any control over the end of the Korean War? Wouldn’t that be between the Koreas?

We had a hand in that fighting as well, didn’t we? 54,000 or so of our soldiers and Marines died over there.

Whatever document is signed ought to have our signature on it, or it isn’t worth squat. Frankly, I say the same about China - they were ass deep in that war as well.

OK, I understand your question now. Unfortunately, I have only the most superficial knowledge about all this, and how the US has insisted it be a multiparty process, and so on. I’d love to read a more thorough analysis. I was responding more to what I thought was was the OP’s “Guess what stupid thing Bush said” insinuation.

didn’t mean to insinuate that he said something stupid. (if you’d follow my rather crooked line of thought) US currently having problems with N Korea—>US claims ‘well, war never ended, so I don’t need to declare a war that’s still going on, and don’t need Congress’ approval for war’

I meant to ask if anyone else saw that potential.

I see what you’re saying now. No, I didn’t see that at all, but I’m not always the sharpest knife in the drawer.

The way I read accounts was that the S. Korean pres said “Let’s end the war” and Bush said “When they get rid of their nuke program, we’ll end it, it is up to them”.

Basically I think Bush said the right thing.
(Broken Clock etc etc)

From reading the Yahoo article on this, it seems like some kind of massive translation miscommunication. I didn’t see anything unreasonable about what Bush said. But again, I just barely comprehend what’s going on here.

Yeah, that’s what I got out of it, and during a photo op, too. Did Roh never learn Diplomacy 101? Is he actively trying to piss off and embarrass Bush publicly? That’s what I meant when I said I’d have kicked his ass.

Moving thread from IMHO to Great Debates.

North Korea, or more to the point, kim Jong Il, realizes we’re in a waiting game that NK will lose. You just have to look at a satellite photo of the 2 Korea’s at night to understand the outcome. By making him foot the bill to finish the nuclear power plants he has unwittingly accelerated the process of asset depletion. In short, he spent himself into a corner.

He’s gone to war with 1 member of the Axis of Evil, is itching to do it with the 2nd, but wants to *end * an existing state of war with the 3rd? God must be telling him some strange things these days.

To avoid confusion, please note: The article linked to in the OP does not read as it originally did. This is closer to what I remember reading the first time.

Does a peace treaty mean we can pull our troops out and leave the South Koreans to defend themselves?