Anybody else use the nickname 'Dort' for the name 'Dorothy'?

My mother was named Dorothy, she was never called Dort. She was Dot or Dottie if a nickname was used except for her brothers that called her Bobbie, her middle name was Roberta.

I know a Dorothy that goes by Dort. A friend (that doesn’t like her), calls her Dork.

Where’s she from, if I might inquire? Any Nederlandish heritage in her background?

I didn’t think I’d get to play in this thread but this reminded me. I had a great great aunt (born 1899) called Bobbie but named Elsie. She passed in about 1990 or so.

I have no idea.

I knew a Dorry as short for Dorothy, but not a Dort. She hated being called Dorothy; she thought it sounded stodgy.

My own family nickname is a rare one and I have lots of friends with nicknames that aren’t in the mainstream. I rather like the individuality.

My grandmother was named Dorothy, and her sisters called her Dort. She was born in the early 1900s and lived in West Virginia.

I have an elderly in-law named Dorothy and I’ve heard other in-laws call her Dort from time to time. This is also in WI, but Polish heritage, not Dutch.

Nice to know that Dorts are rare but not quite unicorn status. Aunt Dort’s funeral is tomorrow. It’ll be poignant but more celebration of life than mourning, fortunately.

God damn it, I’m always late with the quips

My great aunt Dorothy was always known as Auntie Doff.

Doff! Awful!

She was from Suffolk in England, if that makes any difference.

My great aunt Dorothy was Dolly. Her surname was Duck - Dolly Duck :slight_smile:

My grandmother, from the Chicago area of Danish descent, went by her full name, Dorthy. My grandfather called her Dor (and perhaps that was a nickname used by other family members and/or in her youth, I don’t know).