Anybody ever buy/sell on Etsy.com?

Exactly. She calls it Panky. We kid with her that she has three pancreases: a stuffed one, a techno one (her insulin pump) and a broken one. :smiley:

What an awesome way to help a kid deal with a crappy medical situation! I would like to subscribe to your parenting newsletter…

As someone who cross stitches, works at a cross stitch shops on Saturdays that also does framing and is on Etsy, I’ll answer that question:

An amount that either doesn’t even pay for the custom framing but they’re willing to shell out, or one that you’d maybe just break even on (including time spent stitching) but no one will ever be willing to pay.

You really can’t turn a profit on cross stitch unless you manage to tap into a market that is incredibly rich and appreciative/loving of needlecraft.

Even cross stitchers are bad at this. They come in and get a piece custom framed with archival materials (all acid-free, etc.), glass, a mat and a frame cut to order… and get upset that it’s not $20.

Yeah, it’s literally impossible to make money on cross stitch. Almost impossible for crochet and knitting unless you’re making little things that are so cute people pay a premium for them.

I just bought a mothers day gift from this shop on etsy, and they had it gift wrapped (for free, and I didn’t even ask for the wrapping) and shipped off with tracking number within an hour of the order. Can’t beat that.

I know, sadly. I was just hoping to make a few bucks for something I enjoy so much. Instead, I now do consignment work for people I know and auction work off for charity. I’ve also taken to framing my own work - no glass or matting, just the soft framing - to cut down on costs. If they want it matted under glass, I get an estimate and let them decide.

Sometimes I wish I had taken up something with better salability.

a poignant post/username combination

I have bought several items, and I window shop often. I had one artist make me a switch plate cover (all of my switch plates are now custom). I also had a glass blower make me a pipe (for use with tobacco only). Very good experiences!

Interestingly, this topic crops up regularly on my Etsy team. There are buyers who are firmly in your camp,** emmaliminal**, and buyers who think “Eeeeewwww! Used jewelry!” (And we’re talking necklaces and bracelet here. No one models pierced earrings.)

It’s really hard to get the scale of jewelry, though.

Huh. Who’d a thunk it? There are people out there worried about jewelry cooties? Weird.

I guess the answer for that, if you’re worried about it, is to-scale mannequin-type display stands.

Or you could do the old-school thing by putting a penny or a pencil tip in one of the photos. Those are the standards of putting things in scale for photos.

Or, put a ruler next to the piece in one of the pics.

Thank you. I genuinely only opened this thread hoping someone would link to that site. (I couldn’t remember its name.) :smiley:

The only problem with a penny is if you’re open to sales from outside your own country, they won’t have the same money as you. I, for instance, have no idea how big American coins are, so while they give a rough idea of scale, they might be tiny coins or huge coins, which would give very different impressions!

A ruler is a good idea. One jewellery artist I bought from included a piece of paper in the package with circles (well, ovals) drawn out to the most common sizes she makes her pendants. I thought that was a good idea, too, if you make things in similar sizes.

My mom opened an etsy shop to sell old stock she had (she used do craft shows). She had a few sales the first week or so, has had some custom orders, and was invited to join some merchant thing there.

I bought some vintage stuff from one vendor and was really happy. I’m sure it depends on the vendor. As far as selling, I think it’s a waiting game - either you market the hell out of it, or you put it up and wait for someone to be looking for that exact thing.

I’m planning on opening a site for my graphic design as soon as I have time to finish making up samples.