Anybody ever buy/sell on Etsy.com?

I’ve recently discovered myself with some extra free time on my hands, and picked up my old jewelry making hobby. The supplies can get expensive, and I tend to not end up wearing a lot of what I make, so I’m thinking about trying to sell some of it. Can anyone tell me about their own selling experiences with Etsy? Also, do people actually buy things from there? I don’t want to set it all up and not be able to sell anything. My self-esteem has taken enough of a beating recently! Anyway, any stories, tips or thoughts are welcome.

I’ve bought jewelry there several times. (I’m waiting for my sweater clips to show up any day now, actually.)

Photography makes a HUGE difference. Make sure you’re showing your products to their best advantage. Clear, bright pictures on a neutral background - make it look modern and appealing.

The only thing about it is that there’s so much there that it’s pure accident whether I run into your stuff or not.

I’ve bought several things, including a gorgeous pair of garnet earrings that cost about $80, and a silver charm. I also had a custom woodworking item made. If your work is of good quality and reasonably priced, it will sell, but remember that, unlike eBay, there is no auction deadline, so your inventory will sit until it sells. Don’t have more inventory than you can afford to maintain. Check for other sellers who make jewelry similar to yours, and make sure you’re not overpricing yours.

We’ve had several threads by etsy sellers who’ve asked Dopers to critique their stores (with mod permission), so if you want that input, there are those here who are willing.

I’ve only bought from esty once but it was a great experience. I think dealer communication is key and also having a unique product. The item I bought was something the lady made to-order and I was able to confirm my sizing with her before she made it. I didn’t feel like I just sent my money off to Never Never Land. Her packaging was cute and memorable too.

I’ve sold on etsy, and it was fine. Reasonable fees, etc. As stated above, take good photos, and don’t be afraid to “sell” your item through good descriptions and a friendly “about the seller” info.

One thing that you’ll need to do to get hits and sales is to market, market, market. Because etsy is small at this point, you won’t have the exposure that ebay has. Work with your “tags” to show up on searches, join Google Marketplace and promote your store outside etsy as much as possible.

Good luck!

I’ve bought on etsy before, and it was great.

I also set up a shop there to sell my paintings, and while I got a lot of complements, I did not get any sales, I think mostly because I didn’t do the work required to keep myself on the front pages. (I was also overseas a the time, and shipping was going to be a problem…basically it wasn’t the best fit for where I was, and local gift shops turned out to be much more profitable).

It’s not like ebay, where you can put an item up now and then and it will probably sell. Like Sateryn 76 said, you have to market the hell out of it. You really need to post a new thing every day to stay visible (or re-post an old thing) and your presentation has to be excellent.

I may try it again now that I’m back in the States–the fees really are reasonable, so there isn’t much at stake if you don’t make a lot of sales. You might want to google for tips on selling on etsy before decide. Good luck!

I sell jewellery on Etsy - sales are slow, but relatively steady. Lots of people sell jewellery, particularly, on Etsy so it can be a bit hard to get your stuff noticed, you’ll need to do a fair amount of marketing your stuff yourself, rather than relying on people to magically find you. (That said, people do seem to magically find me - my marketing clearly needs more work…)

It’s cheap to set up shop - the listings fees are small, and they don’t take a big percentage when you do sell things, so you don’t lose much financially by giving it a shot. You do need good photos to attract buyers, although I see lots of items sell that don’t have great photographs. I think it also depends on the price you’d like to sell things for - the higher the price, the better your presentation needs to be, obviously.

Good luck if you decide to go for it! I enjoy it - even if sales aren’t flooding in, the people who do buy from me (and the people I’ve bought from) are all lovely, and it’s nice to know that other people like your work enough to pay money for it!

I bought a 500.00 custom made puppet. She did a fantastic job and I think she may get more sales out if it.

All in all I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Only once: we purchased an amigurumi pancreas for our daughter. I wouldn’t hesitate to shop Etsy again. One of my friends makes jewelry and sells it there, and she does pretty well with it.

Good luck with your store: hope it’s a smashing success!

Yes. I’ve never sold anything, so I can’t give you any selling advice other than what I look for as a buyer. I’ve bought three necklaces from them, two of which were from the same seller. I bought from the same same seller twice for two reasons. 1) She was detailed in her information. She provided info on what the necklace was made of (Nickel allergy here! This is important), gave dimensions, posted lots of photos, and her price range was comparable to similar products. 2) Great customer service. Shipment was speedy, but I was disappointed to find the necklace broke the first time I put it on. I then became un-disappointed and quite pleased after I e-mailed her a photo of the broken necklace, and it was immediately replaced with zero hassle.

I buy off of Etsy all the time, and all the advice here is great (especially regarding the importance of photography). Honestly though, sometimes I wonder how vendors do it. Because so much of the stuff is dirt cheap. I can’t imagine how most people turn a profit.

I’ve bought from Etsy once, and it did not go well. It was a chart for cross stitch and it was crap, generated by a bad computer program. She claimed the posted pic of her finished work was 100% from her graph, but that was impossible. The thread colors were incorrect, even.

I’ve thought about selling some of my finished projects, but the pricing seems so random that I would have no idea what to charge. Some people try to sell a 30 minute stitch up in a $1.00 hoop (cheesy way to ‘frame’) for $15? Then what do I charge for the professionally framed work that took me a month?

For me, with my interests, Esty is a laugh.

Obligatory regretsy link.

:smiley:

I have an Etsy site. I have had exactly nothing on it for several months, because, with a day job, I seem to be able to make stuff or photograph & list stuff, but not both.

That being said, I have sold a couple of things. As others have said, marketing your site is important. Most of the people I know who do well on Etsy have a blog that links to their site, are active with an Etsy “team,” etc.

Ditto what people have said about good photography and descriptions. (I hate writing descriptions and coming up with names for my pieces, and so far no one has convinced me that a fanciful name and description sells any better than straightforward, accurate ones.)

It might be useful for you to search Etsy using tags that you might use for your work. Then you’ll get a sense of what’s out there and how to make your jewelry stand out.

I’ve done far better selling at juried art/craft shows, but that’s a whole 'nother level of time commitment.

I sold some Christmas ornaments and a keychain. I also bought a necklace made from an antique skeleton key (gift for our reator).

I have never had a bad experience with Etsy.

By the way, my sweater clips came in yesterday. Adorable.

I gots ta know … What the heck is an “amigurumi pancreas”?

Another occasional jewelry buyer here chiming in for the importance of detailed, clear, non-hyped descriptions and photos. Measurements are especially nice with jewelry, as are photos of someone wearing the item (you don’t have to show faces) so I get a sense of scale. Tell me about the materials, too.

I also like hearing a few sentences about the seller – how long you’ve been making this stuff, how you got into it, etc. Could be a link to a blog. I like knowing something about the history of what I’m wearing. When I give something from Etsy as a gift, I print up that stuff to go along in the package – kind of like the “About the Artist” tags or leaflets you get with craft-made items in a boutique.

A little stuffed crocheted pancreas, of course.

I’ve bought quite a few things on Etsy - jewelry, kids clothes, baby gifts, etc. I was only disappointed one time and that’s because I felt that the workmanship was poor quality. I agree with the above suggestions for good photography, detailed descriptions and attention to quality.