Anybody into geocaching?

I got a GPS for Christmas and have already found two caches within 3/4 mile of my home. Way cool!

Cool! I’ve always wanted to know–how does a GPS work? :cool:

I’ve been geocaching, it’s so much fun! It’s like a treasure hunt and a good excuse for a nice hike. I don’t have my own GPS at the moment though, so I haven’t been in a while. But I’m looking forward to doing some geocaching this summer.

Did you find your caches on http://www.geocaching.com/ ?

Geocaching is something I really want to try, and I’ve found local caches on www.geocaching.com but I have no GPS to work with, however should I come into any money I will be buying one.

I saw a segment about this on TV while on vacation and always wanted to try it – but I forgot what it was called! I’ll check out the site. We have a lot of forest preserves around us, so they’d be good candidates for a cache.

We’ve done a few. The nice thing is that people tend to use them as a way of sharing their favourite hiking spots with other like-minded people. We’ve found some good spots because of this.

Hubby is always trying to find ways to get me out of the house and exercise, geocaching is his latest attempt and it works.

Not a high energy person and hate the idea of exerting myself but walking I can do. I can walk for hours (came in handy when we were in Europe, the walking I mean).

Go to the park to look for a cache find it or not and keep walking. A 5 to 8 mile walk isn’t a bad day at the park.

We’ve been in the area for 6 months and there are several parks and such within five or ten miles. Not been to any of them, till now. A great way to explore where you live.

(2WalkAs1)

Yes. I logged the coordinates of my house, then went looking for the closest waypoints once I established my profile. The first one I found was less than 1/2 mile away, in a small park in my subdivision.

I’m gonna find a couple more, then try my hand at establishing my first cache. I really like this game!

There are several satellites in geosync orbit around the earth. A GPS device will lock on to as many signals as it can, then do a bunch of math based on signal strenght and angles and come up with your location within 15-20 feet or less, depending on the “horsepower” of the GPS unit.

Take a look at http://www.1st-at-gps-tracking.com/42-GPS-receiver.html

I am.

My handle on geocaching.com is the same as my SDMB user name, so look me up if you want to do some 'caching in the NY/NJ/CT area.

I had a GPS from a camping/ATVing trip I took a while back. A friend told me about geocaching and I got hooked once I figured out one could use a GPS for more than just finding one’s way out of the woods.

Since then, a company in my line of work decided to give out a bunch of those cheap Geko 101 GPS units at a trade conference. Half the attendees had no idea what they were, how to use them, or what they cost. So a bunch of people gave me their units and I have a bunch of spares lying around in case a bunch of people want to go on a cache hunt.

Coolest alternative sport ever.

I also got a GPS unit for “Christmas” (it was actually Dec. 17th, the wife and I don’t wait to exchange gifts) and have found 8 out of 10 caches so far. She even pre-programmed in the first cache before she gave it to me; it was less than 1000 feet from the house in a park across the street. Great way to get us out of the house, get some exercise, and explore the area.

Actually, they’re in circular orbits at about 10,900 miles. There are 24 of them plus about four in-orbit spares. I say “about” because they’re undergoing a replacement/upgrade cycle now and there may be a few extra as they put things in place.

An alternative to gc.com is http://www.terracaching.com/. The cache approval system at tc.com does not revolve around a bunch of self-important, non-local, granduer-deluded lackeys.

I use Geocaching as an excuse to sightsee while on vacation - I’ve found several virtual caches in DC and New Orleans - and to get some exercise around Lansing (at least when it’s a little warmer out). My handle is anspaug4, if you guys want to chat me up on geocaching.com. :slight_smile:

I haven’t encountered anything like that on gc, but I’m going to go sign in on tc just to have an alternate source. Wanna sponsor me?

I don’t geocache, I’d like to but I don’t have a GPS. Now my best friend does it and she loves it, b ut, she does it w/out GPS. She reads the clues and reads what other people say about where they found it, and she finds it that way.

At least until she gets her own GPS system.

Not having a clue what you guys are talking about, I read the FAQ at geocashing.com. What a cool idea. So basically, someone leaves a prize of some sort at some waypoint which is posted on the net? Is that about right? Then you leave soemthing of your own?

So, what kind of loot do you guys haul in? What do you leave? Is there a limit? Anyone ever find any really crazy stuff?

It’s mostly Cheezy Crap ™.

It’s the thrill of finding the cache that’s important. The giftswapping is just for grins and souveniers. Mardi Gras beads, Hot Wheels, keychains, etc.

Glad I searched first. I just started 4 days ago. I dont have a GPS handheld, but I found two none the less from GC.com hints.

Found a book on it in the bookstore, and I was like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is this?

and well now I am a Cacher

Welcome to CacheWorld! Addictive, isn’t it?