Anybody still get Nigerian scam email?

Seems as though it has been years since I did.

My Firefox is very good at stopping junk mail, but my Hotmail and Yahoo accounts get several every day. however none from Nigeria.

I kind of miss them. :slight_smile:

Co-worker of mine gets them frequently, on his company email.

To the best that we can figure it out, the address got out after he gave it to a government agency in the process of signing up for a conference. (This government agency was the customer of our project at the time.)

The reason he still sees this can be summarized in two words: Lotus Notes.

If Domino server has decent anti-spam features, our company has never used them. Probably never even found them.

And of course, the Notes client is a lost cause.

Checks spam folder

Yep, last one was 11 hours ago, apparently. From the Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, no less. Although I do find it odd that [del]anyone[/del] someone like that would still use an AOL address. :rolleyes:

To be fair, though, these days I really have to go out of my way to find any. Usually they’re buried in junk mail somewhere.

No, most of the spam caught in my filter these days is either for work-from-home scams or CH34P V14GRA and R0L3X WATCH3$.

I got an amusing meta-Nigerian scam email a couple years back-- it said something like:

“WE ARE THE NIGERIAN SCAMMER POLICE AND IN THE COURSE OF ARRESTING SEVERAL NIGERIAN SCAMMERS WE FOUND YOUR EMAIL ON A LIST OF VICTIMS OF FRAUD. WE WISH TO RECOMPENSE YOU FOR THE AMOUNT OF (X) MILLION DOLLARS U.S FROM THE FRAUD MONIES WE CONFISTICATED.”

I get them regularly from places in Africa, but I don’t look to see if they are Nigerian. But the worst are the ones that say my mailbox is full and just one click on the site below will allow me to increase my limit. I am good friends with our sysop and he tells me that storage is so cheap these days that he makes no attempt to limit sizes of mailboxes.

Yes, I get them daily in all my scambaiting email accounts because I took the spam filters off in those accounts. :slight_smile: I am currently corresponding with (baiting) about seven or eight of them. Loan scammers, advance fee scammers, conference scammers and one Illuminati one.

It is disheartening how many of these criminals are out there, and even more depressing to see how many use American mules to collect their fees. Since I joined a scambaiting website last June, I have used their reporting system to report 19 U.S. bank accounts for fraudulent activity.

That’s…really cool. The most I ever did, in those days before spam filter got good, was string someone along for two or three emails before telling him to go fuck himself.

On a side note, since I’ve seen these since the days when they were faxed, I always wondered (1) who would be stupid enough to fall for them, and (2) how they could persist over so many years without becoming at least somewhat more sophisticated.

Then I recently read that they are deliberately made to be ridiculous, as a self-filtering device: the scammers want to find the easiest fish to catch with the least amount of work. The ones who bite on the ridiculously obvious initial scam emails are more likely to persist to the point of actually getting ripped off whereas a more sophisticated scam may get more initial nibbles, but the smarter ones will figure it out and bail before they actually lose cash.

It’s a very fun and fulfilling hobby. I get to play all kinds of characters, and every minute of their time and resources I waste keeps them from scamming a real victim. I can string them along for at least a month, often longer. Nowadays my main goal is to get a real bank account from them so I can report it. Well, and to drive them nuts. :smiley:

I never let on that I have scammed them. You don’t want them to know that scambaiters exist.

Been getting a flood of it, but all on deprecated addresses.

I use throwaway addresses for public contact and change them frequently. When a more primary address gets polluted, I route it to a special spam-handling address and start using a new variation. Eventually everyone who was legitimately using the bad address is updated (or outdated) and I blackhole it.

Two addys I have to keep for a while, because they were on business cards and contracts and stuff, have been getting 5-10 scam emails a week for a few months. Mostly the “I am dying from cancer and need you to take my fortune, God Bless You” type, but the usual lottery winnings and update-your-password and send-us-your-personal-data ones, too.

Gmail is excellent spam filtering. I just checked my spam folder and there are 21 new spam messages, but alas, nothing Nigerian.

No, no Nigerian scam emails. I am, coincidentally, currently helping 17 different individuals from there. It seems that it is very difficult to get large sums money out of their country. I see that as government oppression of the wealthy. Merely by giving them my bank account information and paying a nominal amount in pre-tax fees, I will soon be a millionaire many, many times over! Don’t tell them, but I’d actually do it for free just to thumb my nose at their government’s anti-rich folk policies. The money will, I suppose, allow me to help others escape these draconian policies.

I still get a few by email, though no recent ones from Nigeria. Currently one of my accounts has one from Dubai and one from Gambia in the junk folder.

Where I do get them regularly is as contact requests in my Skype account, along with (apparently) sexy women who for some reason want to be friends with a complete stranger.

They’ve actually become very varied. Some are still the classic ones from Nigerian princes and bank managers who can’t write English very well. Others are much more sophisticated with few obvious mistakes. Some are from soldiers in Iraq who have found a stash of gold, or inform me that I have won a lottery I never entered.

Then others make hardly any effort at all: one line from some woman in Ghana who just says “please contact me for an interesting business opportunity.” I really hate a lazy scammer.

I get one or two per day via my Hotmail account, but most claim to come from Burkina Faso now. Not sure why, I think the scammers just like the sound of the name.

Ouagadougu, Burkina Faso. Couldn’t sound much more exotic.

Checking email spam folder…

Yup, got one dated Sep 23 from a Mr. Richard Uba, “director of fact finding and special duties,” “newly appointed to head the department in this Apex Bank.” Apparently he has discovered “irregularities going on, your payment with Central Bank of Nigeria,” and “I am not happy with the way people have been extorting money from you on pretext to help you receive your Million Dollars with this bank.” How thoughtful! He’s looking out for me!

And oh look, he wants to send me $20 million in cash in “2 security proof boxes,” whatever that is, “arranged through diplomatic preference carriage scheme.” Ah, the ol’ diplomatic preference carriage scheme. My favorite!

I think I’m supposed to send him a receipt for it, then he’s going to send me another 2 boxes, and of course he “will advice that you let nobody know about this method to avoid people eyebrow.” Indeed. Beware the ever-watchful eyebrow of EVIL!!!

It goes on some more about couriers and some other unintelligible crap, I really have no idea what the supposed scheme is supposed to be, but in the end I agree to pay him and his colleagues $2 million for-- something.

They should give up the “we’re intelligent” approach to scamming and get into something honest and physical, like pirating tankers and freighters.

I had a letter come through a few years back (an actual letter; this was before the internet was common and scams had to be carried out via mail), telling me I’d won the Irish Lottery. They merely wanted a couple of pounds to process the administration or whatever.
I knew full well that it was a scam, but figured £2 was pretty good value for some mild entertainment and wanted to see what happened next, so I sent the money off.
Apparently I got the world’s least ambitious scammer, because that was the end of it. I never heard another thing from them. I was disappointed, I was hoping for some elaborate sting involving ever more expensive processing fees or somesuch. But no, they just took my money and ran. :frowning:

My scammers seem to have branched out to a number of different countries. Most are now coming from a purported American foreign officer (with the usual abyssmal grammar) who is attempting to help a foreign national get his fortune out of the country. I was chosen as our connection would ‘never by suspected by his enemies’ (or by him, either lol). And in return for my assistance, I will get a ‘substantial percentage’ of his holdings (that, at least, is true, 80% of nothing is a substantial amount of nothingness).

Just for kicks I totalled them up and in this mornings Spam folder alone, I find myself the recipient of over 240 million dollars.

I have heard of scambaiters that have gotten them to make phone calls (on their dime) or even to set up personal visits. Have you done this?