Anybody want to hide from elections and financial talk? Come on in!

I was very industrious over the weekend, waxed the floors and then washed a TON of windows. Everything so sparkly now! Woo!

Hubby got after the overgrown bushes on the front of the house - MY GOSH there were two windows behind them!! Who knew? :wink:

The downside to that is, he now has more Honey-Do’s because he discovered some of the trim etc. needs to be replaced.

Then it’s on to painting the front!

Today I was on a conference call with a new comitte I volunteered for, and wouldn’t you know my very firstest teleconference ever had SIXTY PEOPLE on it! Went swimmingly though, and I’m now a sub-comittee chair. Whew!

Harmonius, cute story about your niece. :slight_smile: I didn’t know they had that zoo in Poynette.

[quote=“featherlou, post:1, topic:465948”]

I had a very nice dinner today - chicken with hot sauce and teriyaki sauce (hot teriyaki sauce is sooooo good), and ceasar salad. With a big cupcake for dessert.

I worked today, noon to 7:00 pm. Y’all know I’m a believer, & I know that God answers prayer. I pray every day on the way to work that God can use me to bless others.

A woman came up to me today, and told me her mom was diabetic. Mom monitored her blood sugar every 30 minutes, & was scared to death when the blood sugar spiked. The customer asked me for suggestions to keep her mom’s blood suger down. I’m not a nutritionist, but after 55 years, I may have a little bit of common sense. I suggested that she log onto webmd.com to look up diabetic menu ideas. She walked away feeling better than she’d been a few minutes before. My 1st MIL was diabetic; this is where I got the reference.

I also consulted with someone in the Personnel dept. where I work re my Son In Law. According to my SIL’s resume, he hasn’t worked in about two years. What the resume doesn’t show is that in those two years, he’s gotten his GED, done salvage work (he has permits from the city), done day labor, etc. My SIL has paid his way, but doesn’t have something impressive to add to a resume (any ideas, dopers? If any dopers can help me with this, I promise to give you my mother’s famous pecan pie recipe.)

I came home tonight & had a “conversation” with my 11-week-old grandson. You moms/grandmoms know what I mean.

Me: “Know what I did today?”
Angelboy: smile, big grin, big wiggle, arms & legs rotate, “blgg? rrrrr”
Me: "And what about you? Did you have a big day?
Angel boy: (same as above, with snort & a loud fart)

Life is good.

Love, Phil

New cat in the house that I saved from a trip to the shelter after he showed up on a coworkers doorstep. Coworker’s son is very allergic.

I know that tradition dictates a thread dedicated to this but the digital camera is toast.

A grey tabby aptly named Spartacus. About six months old according to the vet.

It’s amusing to see him walking through the house and the younger cat about half his size run out and attack. She’ll jump out and wrap her forelegs around his torso and he’ll keep strolling along dragging her beside him.

I just have to convince him that human ears are not an hors d’oeuvre.

Indeed! Except I’m ignoring the fact that it’s still 90F every day and digging in to the bean soup and shepherd’s pie all early. I’m sweating to death over it, but it makes me happy anyways.

It rained a little yesterday morning, so I threw open my bedroom window to get a good whiff of the rainy air. It was great until one of the horses left a massive meadow dumpling right outside the window (their pen borders the house). It was not so refreshing.

I have the LSAT on Saturday. I feel really confident about it and I’m actually looking forward to it. I’m at the point now that it just seems like a 4 hour long puzzle. I’m pretty sure that this time I won’t have to cancel my score due to a case of the stress-induced trots. :eek: After the test we’re having a mini-Oktoberfest. I’m makin’ pretzels and Black Forest cake.

Ooooh - I tried that and will never buy it again. Why? Because it’s the only time in my life that I had a single taste of the ice cream,then immediately proceeded to eat the entire container. I can’t be trusted with it, so I never buy it.
Fortunately, I have discovered Hagen-Daas dulce de leche (sp?) in wee little 4 oz cups. Probably an atrocious unit cost, but I can buy one and be done with it. It’s hard to get out out control with a quarter of a pint. :slight_smile:
Hooray for ice cream mixed with caramel! Yay!

mmmm. home made new england clam chowder…

Pass the ice cream.

I think I’ll make baked mac’n’cheese with mushrooms today. It’s a high of 15, so it’s a little chilly. And maybe gingerbread. Maybe pear gingerbread- I have some pear sauce in the fridge. I’m trying to get a lot of cooking done today so we’re set for lunches for the week, and dinner for Mr. Lissar when I’m working.
I’ve been rereading Jane Grigson’s English Food. That woman can make almost anything sound delicious.

Into Summer now and wearing shorts and a tee shirt all day.

Fried snapper for dinner with lime juice.

Karamel Sutra: It’s a wonderful little foodgasm. Enjoy it.

Acid Lamp’s parents brought over food for us, and I watched part of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants yesterday; silly movies are good for when you’re feeling down. Still reading Kushiel’s Dart, and enjoying it, despite the smut not being my personal taste; the plot centering around the different factions of the peerage is fascinating. It is, however, rather long, so we’ll see how I feel when I’m done with it.

North Country Stew

But I use regular sausage instead of spicy.

It’s one of those things I have to make at least a triple batch of because everyone in the family wants some when they find out I’m making it.

I’m feeling really energetic today after my run. And it’s the husband’s birthday, and he’s taken the day off to go hunting. And I’m making him steak for dinner, and brownies (his favorite.) And my little bird made me giggle like a lunatic this morning, and I’m wearing something pretty and red to work–skirt and top, with red shoes, and sparkly red jewelry.

Hey! My heritage resembles that remark! :slight_smile:

Great. Now you have me thinking about shepherd’s pie and steak-and-kidney pie and roast beef with mashed potatoes and rice pudding and custard and butter tarts and…

Just like mom used to make…

I’ll have to look up that book.

He should consider a functional, rather than chronological, resume, so that he groups skills together. This website is a start: http://http://www.quintcareers.com/functional_resume.html

I’m in New Orleans for a month. My housing fell apart the day before I flew down. So when I got here I had to find a hotel for a couple of days while I improvised some kind of a living situation. I started looking into various university sponsored housing - none of which had anything available. Craigslist wasn’t being very helpful either. Then one of my fellow med students emailed me that one of the residents she was working with that day was willing to rent me his apartment since he spends most of his time at his girlfriend’s place anyway. So now instead of renting a room I’m living in a nice 1br + den apartment and paying less than I would have for the room. Isn’t it nice how life sometimes just falls together?

My office-mate, Jennifer, brought her 3 year old son in to visit for awhile before going to gramma’s house the other day. I have been slain by utter cuteness!! He’s as blonde as can be and so funny.

I have a box of gingerbread mix at home just waiting to be made up, and new silicone bakeware that needs to be broken in. Hmm…

nashiitashi, I like the same things about those books- not the smut, but the fun historical stuff and the re-imagining of history. There’s two trilogies, now.
Sunspace, i like English food, but I’m not sold on Lamb’s Head with Brain Sauce, myself. I prefer gingerbread and trifle and roast beef and cheese and onion pasties. :slight_smile:

Started the third ‘Song of Ice and Fire’ book and can’t put it down. Weather’s getting to the ‘pile the blankets on’ level, which I love. Lunch with my best friend, and I get to do her a favor and she’ll do me a favor later (I love it when that works out).
Last night got out of my appartment in order to have a late dinner and clear my head for some writing. Ended up in a sports-bar-restaurant and watched the Sox win. The energy in the place over the game was really amazing. :slight_smile:

I’ve got enough crap I want to hide from at the moment. If I can’t bullshit about politics and finance I’m not sure what to kill time with.

Oh wait. I’m taking my girlfriend the hell out of the city in two weeks. We’re spending four or five days in a B&B in Vermont. Our plans consist mostly of wearing flannel and eating pancakes with rivers of maple syrup, but we’ll also be taking a hot air balloon flight, hopefully at sunset. If it comes together it’ll be great.

Very cool sculpture. I took my daughters to the Botanical Gardens in St. Louis in August. We’ve been wondering how on earth they plan to change their exhibit from Niki de Saint Phalle. Her work was everywhere. We were impressed and amused, in turns. My youngest thought this was a hoot. Looks just like my Aunt Nina (no disrespect intended, Aunty, may you rest in peace).

I’m balancing the business bank account today, God help me. I’m gonna need some pretty serious decompression tonight.

I have a little over 30 days left to clean the house. My wife is working on the Obama campaign and works from 9 to 10 or 11. She is a hoarder. This gives me a chance to get rid of so much crap. If she were home every box tossed out would involve an argument . Now I am cleaning up but am frustrated because in some areas it looks like I have done nothing. There are limits for how much the trash men will pick up. I can dump about 15 more boxes . That is 3 extra per week.