Anyone dissapointed by glorified stuff, too?

Cigar dick?

cigar looks like a brown dick in one’s mouse. Separated brown dick! its much worse

A favorite quote by Christopher Hitchens- ‘The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex, and picnics.’

The OP has clearly indulged in too much champagne.

As a rule, I adore high-end seafood of any type…except oysters. It’s all about the texture. They are slimy, yet gritty from the sand that never seems to be completely cleaned out.

Same goes for caviar. It tastes fine, but the texture is incredibly off-putting to me.

I love high thread count sheets. The good ones are so substantial they can substitute for a blanket in warm weather and wear like iron. I’ve never regretted a penny I’ve spent on high thread count sheets. Love 'em.

Same goes for cashmere and silk garments. The good versions of both are pricey and require some care, but you can’t beat that feeling of being caressed by your garments all day long.

I always thought heated towel racks were an unnecessary affectation of the rich. Until I got one. It isn’t a fancy one, it suction cups onto the wall and plugs in an outlet. But stepping out of the shower and into a nicely warmed towel is a wee bit of hedonistic bliss.

Same goes for heated car seats.

Yup, I love my creature comforts.

Another uppity thing that I don’t like (besides oysters and caviar) are very old bottles of red wine. Thanks to a grateful client of my uncle’s, we once had a 200 year old bottle of French red wine for Christmas dinner. It tasted like damp cardboard and mold. Horribly disappointing.

You just had to bring beastiality into this, didn’t you?

I don’t mind filet mignon, but I prefer plain old sirloin.

A couple of the more expensive restaurants in my town serve dry-aged steaks. their ads and their menus rhapsodize about their aging rooms and the aging process and the flavor and the tenderness, etc., etc., etc. The first time I tried one, my initial reaction was, “They’re cleaning out the fridge, and trying to get rid of stuff that is on the verge of spoiling.”

Caviar is good, but it essentially tastes like salt.

My mother looks at a table set with crystal and sterling silver, and she sees elegance and glamour. I look at the same table, and I see a hell of a lot of work, washing and polishing the stuff.

I’ll take a fatty burger over filet mignon, hate oysters, like lobster, and don’t smoke. Also, a Ford will get you to the grocery store in the same amount of time as a Rolls, without having to pay a chauffeur.

At one time in history, tomatoes and pepper were only for the upper crust.

I don’t think I’ve ever had caviar, but I like all of the other foods. Then again, I’ve found very few foods I don’t like.

Not crazy about tripe.

I’ve also done blind taste-tests of vodka and my favorite one is Vodka Monopolowa that Trader Joe’s carries for like $12 / 750mL.

Land Rover is both one of the most expensive brands of cars and the shittiest. Like at the very bottom of Consumer Reports reliability ratings. I mean, people who buy expensive cars are often aware that they’re buying the marque, but LRs aren’t in the realm of Bugatti.

This things in the OP are all “okay” but overrated. But I do realize that tastes differ, so I don’t doubt that some people really love lobster.

Tripe is glorified?

Cork taint?

I don’t trust “audiophiles” claims that they can hear a difference in quality after some price point (it asymptotes). But at least its analog; even ballsier is expensive digital cables. It sends better 1s and 0s!

Christopher Hitchens is overrated.

I can tell the difference between 250 threadcount and 400. Never had higher. Not that all 400 are good. I like to shop where I can touch the sheets before I buy them, so I know how soft (or slick) they are. I like “softer” v. “crisper” sheets.

I’ve never been in one, but I can’t imagine a Lamborghini survives a 400 plunge off a cliff any better than my '79 Vega wagon would.

And ersters are Poseidon’s boogers.

Lobster is divine
oysters are blech
caviar never had it
champagne, depends, I’ve had swill and I’ve had Moet (yum) the hangover was vile though
Cigars, cigars, cigars, cigars are more about state of mind I think. I personally prefer Ghurka brand cigars but I also like to smoke other brands occasionally…

Ford Mustang was a disappointment to drive

HEY HEY HEY I’m watching you, You might be one of the most bad-ass critters out there, but I got a sith hare backing me up buddy!:smiley:
besides, the hare was the original Easter Bunny, do you really want to eat the Easter Bunny?

Until I started playing the Gran Turismo series, I had no idea that all those Lexuses (Lexi?), Infinitis and Acuras were just plain ol’ Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas back in Japan. I knew they were owned by those companies, but I thought they made models that were exclusive to the premium marques. Then I got the game and wondered what all those weird Toyotas were.

Pho. After years of listening to Internet snobs fondle themselves while telling everyone far and wide how much they loved pho, I went and had some.

It’s soup.

A McLaren sports car for which an oil change is $8,000. I guess that’s a deal though compared to an oil change on a Bugatti Veyron which I heard is $20,000.

Probably no up-charge for synthetic though!

I’ve never been a huge fan of champagne… however, my brother-in-law once got his hands on a bottle of Dom as a gift from a client, so he brought it for Christmas. Best damn champagne I’ve ever had. I would take a glass right now if it was available.

I’ve always thought Citizen Kane was overrated.

Well, it’s always been a question of how fast you can afford to go. But if you’re smart you can go faster in every way that matters* in the real world for probably less than either of those oil changes. Don’t think a K-Car has enough style? I bet you can beat the Veyron in just about any old Ford Fairmont.

But! My glorified thing that disappointed me was owning highly modified cars as a daily driver. Modified by you last weekend isn’t really always the most reliable marque. You have to have an almost fanatical dedication to modifying cars to make it work. I love working on cars a lot. But, I love sleep in a much more deep and intimate way. So without the place to store a backup ride and the need to stay gainfully employed, I stopped modifying cars…for now. And really, my current stock vehicle is faster than any of the vehicles that I modified in the past. It’s more expensive, too, but not really luxury car expensive.

*Really, who wants to get up to that kind of lunacy without wearing a helmet and having an ambulance nearby?

Lobster? perfectly nice but that is about it. As was said elsewhere, it can be eclipsed by a lovely fresh prawn
Caviar? ditto, a tasty topping but the more exclusive ones are expensive because they are rare, not that they are substantially better.
Oysters? a good oyster is a thing of delicate beauty and not necessarily expensive. The texture is “love it or loath it” though.
Vodka - no, even drinking it straight you are unlikely to be able to pick out your “favourite” in a blind taste test. You think you can, you can’t.
Audiophile stuff in general - above a very low threshold you are paying more in order for everyone to know that you are able to spend more. Double-blind after double-blind shows it is snake-oil all the way down.
Champagne? - again, a nice drop of fizzy pop but time after time we see blind taste tests put supermarket own-brands on a level with more “prestigious” brands