Anyone else ever heard this insult?

I was out with some of my idiot friends watching the Mavericks game last night, there was the usual snide banter. Then one guy pipes up with:

“Yeah, well I’ll start taking advice from you when you stop buying your clothes at the airport.”

Struck me as very funny, but I’m not sure why. I guess he was implying that the guy dressed like a tourist, but that does not seem quite right. Any ideas?

Can’t help you, but I was walking along a beach in SoCal one fine day when a couple of local surfer types looked me over and said: “Hey, dude, where’s the chowder?”

It’s been twenty years and it still haunts me.

No, that’s pretty much it, although it’s more a general bad taste dig, than tourist specific. It’s a variation on the “…buying your clothes at…” Morgan Memorial/ Wal-Mart/K-Mart/whatever is considered low end where you live insult.

The chowder thing I can only guess at. If you were wearing pants they considered inadequately long, it could have been a “high waters” or “clam diggers” (which are really the same thing)reference.

Originally posted by Davebear

OK, but I thought you were a sucker for buying things at the airport because all the items are severely overpriced. That certainly is the case at LAX.

Eh, I am obviously overthinking this.

Originally posted by El_Kabong

I grew up in and around L.A. and that is a new one on me.:confused:

I’ll also add a bit to what ** Davebear ** mentioned above. Whenever one loses their suitcase at an airport, they probably have a tendency to just buy whatever is at arms reach or whatever is for sale at low prices. And so these ‘emergency’ clothes are likely to clash and make you look like you have absolutely no taste in fashion whatsoever.

That’s my take. Nice insult, though. I’m sure you wouldn’t mind if I borrow it, coz I happen to have a friend who makes a brilliant target, lol :smiley:

Originally posted by green_bladder

Feel free to use it, but I now declair the copyright and all subsidiary interests (public and private) in that line. Hell, “Dude, where’s my car?” is now a valuable franchise. If I ever see “Stop buying your clothes at the airport” in a script title, someone will be hurting.:wink: