Anyone Else Raised in a Kooky Religion?

I believe Monty is a Mormon – perhaps he’ll stop by.

The descriptions I’m seeing in this thread are…really a different beast than what I’m used to - no TV, hair cutting, or pants wearing? My very, VERY devout great aunt would be kicked out in a heartbeat - I don’t think I’ve ever seen her in a skirt.

I actually get that feeling about most Christian churches between the US and Canada.

Note – according to Judaism it is not a sin for a non-Jew to act in a way sinful for Jews – all of humanity is supposed to be bound to the seven Noahide laws, but only Jews are bound to the rest of the Covenant.

In fact, Judaism would strongly frown upon a Jew attempting to force a non-Jew to perform an act that would be sinful for the non-Jew to perform.

I had 2 friends who dropped out of the Univ. of Michigan to move into an Ashram following Maharaji Ji. He was supposed to be a perfect master of some kind. They worked on home roofing and turned all the profits into the church which gave the money to Ji. When he was seen driving in Limos and living the good life, while they were eeking by. They said the money was not enough to help a bunch of people and he deserved it. It was nuts.

As long as he was a “perfect master” and not the Perfect Master, we all know who that is! :wink:

When abouts was this, gonzomax? “Dropping out of school to follow an Indian mystic around” seems to be commonplace for the 1960s (at least from the perspective of this Doper born in 1972 and only learning about the 60s from history books and the entertainment of the time), but I haven’t heard of this happenening really at all since the 1980s at the latest.

The late '70s and early '80s were actually huge for non-mainstream religion in the U.S.

There have been a number of “Ask The Mormon” threads on this board, including a fairly recent “Ask The Ex-Mormon Missionary thread” at Ask the former Mormon missionary (and current atheist) - Miscellaneous and Personal Stuff I Must Share - Straight Dope Message Board. There are a few practicing LDS members on this board - Monty, Dangermom, emarkp, myself - that have historically been open to questions. There are also former members who are open and not particularly hostile - Erdasian, TokyoPlayer - and those who seem much more negative - Dogzilla - for a different perspective. We also have nonmombers who live in heavily LDS areas - pepperlandgirl - who also seem open. I will not talk about the details of Ordinances that take place in the temples, but I feel comfortable talking about a lot of it.

My own view is that I, and most of the LDS posters here, are open to honest questions, but almost all threads on Mormonism quickly turn into:
“How can you believe such crap?”
“Mormonism is just another brand of the invisible pink magical unicorn mythology, same as with all religions.”
“<Insert joke about polygamy or “magic underwear”>”

Because of that, I have become reluctant to discuss Mormonism in detail on this board. I am willing to try again in this or a different thread, and will be as honest and open as I can be. However, I won’t really participate in a bash session.

Well, Rico did chime in on the first page of this thread (he also wrote the first of the columns you linked to). If there’s anything you really want to know, start a thread (assuming your question wasn’t answered in the thread Reloy3 linked to) or send me a PM. I have no qualms about answering any question. Even the “secret” stuff! (It’s not that exciting, mostly just Masonic hand gestures, but I still think knowledge is better than artificial secrecy.)

Has there ever been an Ask the Mason thread? I would like to read that. Especially as there is a lot of overlap with the Mormonism.

Here is another Ask the Ex-Mormon thread from a few years back.

It was about 1965 .In Ann Arbor Michigan. They were both graduating when they decided he was the one. He held a “thing” for his followers and it was in The Astrodome. so it was not small time. It was hard to be polite when they tried to talk me into it.

It was about 1970 .In Ann Arbor Michigan. They were both graduating when they decided he was the one. He held a “thing” for his followers and it was in The Astrodome. so it was not small time. It was hard to be polite when they tried to talk me into it.
Whatever Happened to Guru Maharaj Ji ? - Maharaji - Elan Vital - Cult - Prem Rawat - The Prem Rawat Foundation - Divine Light Mission This is about him.