Anyone else seen every Best Picture winner?

My wife and I started watching all of the Best Picture nominees, in chronological order, 7 or 8 years ago. We’re up to 1983 (Terms of Endearment). Since 1999, we’ve also made a practice of seeing all of the Best Picture nominees. There are only three Best Pictures that I haven’t seen: Terms of Endearment, Out of Africa, and The English Patient.

Of all the Best Picture winners, I think I disliked The Life of Emile Zola (1937) and The Greatest Show on Earth the most. Some, like It Happened One Night (1934), were movies I probably wouldn’t have seen otherwise, but I’m so glad that I did. Others have been very forgettable at best and regrettable at worst.

I can’t believe I’ve seen 75 of those. I’d actually call it 70, some of them I may have only seen part of on TV years and years ago. I didn’t realize a lot of them were Best Picture winners.

This Best Picture list tracks my loss of interest in cinema.

1950-1980: Seen every single winner - except perhaps Marty, which I’ve at least seen parts of
1981-1990: Seen 5/10
1991-2000: 5/10
2001-2010: 3/10
2011-2014: 0/4

This month I’ve also seen The Star Wars and The The Revenant.

Room is an Oscar nominee which is showing at a lot of theaters. The Room is a cult film which frequently is a midnight movie. It’s easily possible that they could both be showing at the same theater. If you buy a ticket for the wrong one, you’re going to be really surprised when the film starts.

We were going to do this until we found out that we’d have to watch Oliver.

I’ve seen the great majority of them and my least favourite, by far, are all the musicals.

surprised the older ones are on DVD. I would not have thought there would be enough interest in them even being a best picture.

I came in here expecting to say “pssh I’ve only seen like 5” but going through the list I’ve actually seen 19 of them. Didn’t realize a lot of them were Best Picture winners.

Yep – there’s a 10-year gauntlet from the late 1950s through the 1960s in which nearly every other winner is a musical. I liked Oliver! more than I thought I would, and I’d seen and enjoyed The Sound of Music several times before watching it again for the chronological project, but that period of Best Pictures was kind of daunting. Lawrence of Arabia and In the Heat of the Night were most welcome departures.

Oliver (actually, Oliver!) was toward the end of my challenge. I dreaded having to sit through it. It wasn’t as horrible as I had feared, probably due to my extremely low expectations.

It’s probably not even in my bottom 10 if I ranked all 87.
mmm

Was it a better choice for best picture over Citizen Kane?

I counted up and was surprised to realize that I’ve seen exactly 40 of the Best Picture winners over the years. My favorites: Casablanca and Amadeus.

Oh, yeah! The latter with an original film score by The The: The The - Wikipedia.

Both are now showing at my local art-house cinema. The Room has been showing every Sat. night, I believe, for some years now (I’ve never seen it).

If you’re a fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 type of humor, the former writers of that show, have been doing Riff Trax for films for years. This month if your local theater chain carries Fathom Events the Riff Trax guys will be riffing on “The Room”. I think it’s on Thursday Jan. 28th

I have seen around 60 of them. I think the strongest period was 70-74 with the two Godfathers, The French Connection, The Sting and Patton.
Some would add the 1975 winner One flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest though personally I didn’t like it very much and prefer any of the other four nominees that year especially Nashville and Barry Lyndon.

My top ten from this list would be
Casablanca
All about Eve
The Waterfront
The Apartment
Lawrence of Arabia
A Man for all Seasons
Godfather 1
Godfather 2
Annie Hall
Chariots of Fire

It was not. But it’s better than a boatload of winners from other years.
mmm

Please excuse my inability to look up the right number. 87 Best Picture Oscars have been awarded so far, not 86. The Oscars this year will award the 88th one. Since I have failed to see 23 of them, that means I have seen 65 of the them if you include the one about to be awarded, since I have now seen all the nominees.

I’ve seen every Best Picture winner and usually am pretty fluent on the current nominees, in part because our film festival is seen as a significant stepping stone in Oscar campaigns. 5 of the last 7 Best Picture winners were featured at our festival (well before any year-end awards were being handed out) and of this year’s 8 Picture nominees, we showed 4 of them last October (before they were generally released), as well as half the acting nominees. We also run a theater the other 50 weeks of the year and all the foreign language film nominees played there before any were announced as nominees.

Six I have never seen Cimarron, Grand Hotel, Cavalcade, Oliver!, The English Patient and The Artist. Both Crash and The Hurt Locker I started watching and part way through was interrupted and couldn’t be bothered watching the rest.

Lucky you for not making it through those last two. I did and didn’t enjoy either one of them. Hell, Crash the two people I was watching it with both fell asleep but said they enjoyed it after.

I’ve seen 22 or so of the Best Picture movies. Some of them are quite good, Rocky, Silence of the Lambs, and In the Heat of the Night all stick out as being great movies. A few of them I couldn’t make it through, Birdman and The Deer Hunter are the two that I just stopped watching.