Anyone else watch Darby O'Gill and the Little People this week?

Yes, the 1959 forgotten Disney classic that includes a singing Sean Connery and the enchanting Janet Munro who died far too young.

If you have never seen this and have kids, you should really rent it. If you have seen it you should watch it again. It is a great little Disney movie.

We got home from a St. Patty’s Day party and my son wanted to see it again. So we are watching it tonight. This is one of the best Disney live actions there is.
Now I just need to find the Quiet Man.

My boyfriend said this movie scared the pants off him when he was a kid. I didn’t see it until I was older so it didn’t bother me. This movie has been discussed here before and seemed to have a similar response to it as my boyfriend did. So I just have to ask if you really think it’s a great movie for kids or are you an evil person that wants everyone to scare the beejeesus out of their kids? :smiley:

Nope my kids loved it and the scary parts are perfect for kids. Kind of along the line of the scary episodes from Doctor Who. As the movie was rolling along this time my son actually said, “Uh oh, I forgot about the banshee.” With a bit of a shudder.

One rainy day when I was in third grade, they brought us all down to the basement and had us all watch Darby O’Gill and the Little People as a “special treat.” We were all traumatized. I don’t know about my former schoolmates, but I’ve never watched it again.

I saw Jaws when I was 9 at the movies. I will admit that traumatized me. I cannot understand this reaction to Darby O’Gill. My kids saw Jaws this past year come to think of it, my son is but a bit older. But I don’t think watching it on TV is the same as at the movies or the kids are just tougher to traumatize then we were.

He was pretty well freaked out by several episodes of the New Doctor Who series. *Blink *being the major one.

I remember being scared by it, too, when I was a kid. (But I was a high strung nervous type - the Twilight Zone really traumatized me to the point where I can’t even watch it alone to this day.) I doubt today’s kids would find it very frightening, though.

Add me as another kid who was scared when the banshee appeared on screen. I don’t think it’s necessarily bad for kids to get a good scare now and then. My niece has seen a few movies I watched as a youngster (Labyrinth for example) and she was scared at a few parts of that just like I was as a kid.

My mom brought it over for my girls and they watched it. They liked it. I just saw bits as I was wandering around the house, so I still haven’t seen all of it.

Yep! Terrified (still!) by The Banshees! Would still love to see this movie again, though!

Why would I watch it? I live it every day.

I’d forgotten about that movie, and yeah the banshees scared the shit out of me when I was a kid too.