Anyone ever been hypnotised?

Title says it all.

Yes.

Post says it all.

Yes. What do you want to know about it? If you’re looking toward hypnosis to aid you with weight loss or smoking, I warn you that you will get nowhere without constant reinforcement.

Yeah, I should have said more. Sorry, guys and girls :smack:

I was just reading about it in one of my course textbooks, and I wondered what it actually felt like to the person being hypnotised - were you aware of what was going on? Did you just “fall asleep” and then woke up after with no memory of the time you’d spent under?

And was it effective on you? In films, TV, etc, (yeah, I know, not exactly an authoritative reference) people are always hypnotised very easily and no one ever “resists” to the point of it not working - has anyone here been able to “resist” hypnosis (either through effort of some kind or just no effect at all)?

I assumed people would volunteer any information or stories they had on it - Curses on my asking too literally!

I had a talented amatuer try to hypnotize me once. (Just to try it out, sort of like a party game.) She said she didn’t think I could be hypnotized. Apparently, I have “trust issues”.
:frowning:

I was aware the whole time. IMHO, hypnosis is just guided deep relaxation.

I’ve been hypnotized during a show, along with a friend (and some other people). It worked quite well (the hypnotizer mae us do various funny stuff, like stagger back to our seat, forget a number, etc…). I didn’t fall asleep, was aware of what was going on and said. I still did what the hypnotizer had said, like staggering around, like I couldn’t help. The guy who had forgotten a number and the guy who sitted on someone’s lap told me they didn’t remember having been told so, though.

Even this hypnotizer, commenting after the show, stated that it was easy to resist and that you had to be willing to let you be hypnotized.

Twice, both times to quit smoking. It’s hard to describe the feeling. I wasn’t asleep, because I would have fallen out of my chair, or drooled, and I did neither.

It was like what I’ve seen described as a “fugue” state, I think. Aware but altered, maybe a bit like what happens when you’re driving a familiar road, and your attention wanders, and then you “wake up” and don’t remember driving that last couple of miles.

The first time, I did manage to quit smoking, but there were five intense sessions for reinforcement. The second time, it worked for only a few hours, but I felt really relaxed in those few hours.

Could you explain that a bit more? I mean, were you actively thinking “I’m not going to do this” but your body moved anyway? Or did you think “Hmm, yes, that would be a good idea to do”.

Same thing happened to me. I was judged impossible to hypnotize because I couldn’t relinquish my consciousness of the moment; I was “too aware” or some such thing. While he was trying to hypnotize me, I was basically like struggling not think of the left eye of a camel; I couldn’t “let go” long enough to be hypnotized.

I’ve been hypnotized three times, once as a sort of exercise during therapy, and twice as part of an attempt to lose weight. The first time I was directed towards and experienced a re-creation of an early childhood environment, but nothing much happened in the “memory”. I think I was under pretty deep; I felt if I talked, it would bring me out of the experience.

The other times (twice as part of a set of sessions) I was encouraged to talk, and could do so without coming out of the hypnotized state. In this case I was more aware of what was going on, and I had less success in imagining the end state of weight loss that the hypnotherapist was trying to get me to visualize.

I agree with Tenar, hypnosis for weight loss can help you to be successful with an existing and ongoing weight loss program, but by itself it doesn’t seem to do much.

Is hearing a certain sound or a type of voice and being unable to tear yourself away from it a form of hypnosis? In some sort of weird Pied Piper syndrome I once rode a bus all over town rather than getting off at my normal stop because I was fascinated with the driver’s whistling. I knew what was happening but I could not get off the bus until the driver reached his turnaround point and stopped whistling. Then I got off that bus quickly, before he could start again.

I’ve had similar experiences listening to Evangelists on TV–though I’m not a believer if they’re good speakers I’ll have to watch their entire show because I like the sound of their voices. (Luckily they’ve never convinced me to send them money.)

I was at a party where a parlor-game hypnotist was having people remember “past lives.” I thought it was interesting that nearly everybody in the group had been a royal person in some past life. I had done some self-hypnosis for relaxation, and that’s pretty much what happened when my turn came. I lost most of my muscle tone, and I was no longer aware of feeling my arms and legs. From there on, though, nothing happened. He went into his “Well, it doesn’t always work with everybody.”

That’s okay. Today, I don’t have the illusion that I was once King Oliver or something.

Does anybody have any scientific links on how hypnosis works?

Interesting… I’ve never been hypnotized, but the last apartment complex I lived in provided a TV channel that featured the camera at the front gate (you could see who you were letting in). You could see cars on the main road go by, but there was no sound. Sometimes I would get stuck on that channel and even though it would occur to me that I should change it, it was like I was frozen in this very relaxed state. Kinda peaceful, really.

It was long ago, and I don’t remember what I was thinking exactly. It wasn’t the latter, in any case. Either the former or “let’s see if I’m going to actually stagger”. I just remember that I was :

1. Wondering if it would work

2. Surprised that it did work

back in college, we had a hypnotist do an evening show in the student center, he started off showing the “power of suggestion”, he bit into a lemon and everyone tasted it (not hard to do, everyone knows what a lemon tastes like, he basically made the audience visualize the experience of biting into a lemon

the next level was having us hold our hands together and “imagine there was glue between the palms of our hands”, those people who had “stuck” hands after a 3 count were led onto stage where he proceeded to do the standard hypnosis shtick (forgetting names/numbers, screaming when a keyword was used in conversation, having one of the attractive women run up on stage and kiss him when a keyword was used, the normal hypnosis thing…

i couldn’t get past the biting a lemon thing, my hands did not end up “glued”, i was watching the whole show with a rather analytical, logical mindset, i entered the show a skeptic, and left proven correct, i was one of the unhypnotizable audience members, too logical and skeptical to fall for it

however it was fun watching the other victims…err…subjects making fools of themselves…

i just wish one of my freinds went up on stage, one of the acts was the hypnotist put a $100 bill on the stage, had the subject pick it up, telling them if they could pick it up, they could keep it

as soon as the mark picked up the bill, the hypnotist said “that’s 100 pounds”, and the mark’s hand plummeted to the stage…

…did i mention my freind is from England? :wink:

I went to see Flip Orley at a comedy club here in the Atlanta area. Watch the clip about Phoenix Water. That was one of the bits he did. A friend of mine went up on stage and tasted the water, and he swears to this day that he wasn’t hypnotized, and they put something in the water.

He was was hypnotized and they didn’t (as far as I know) put anything in the water.

It was pretty cool.

E3

Howard Stern had Paul McKenna on his show. He hypnotized these girls and told them that whenever Howard “honked” this bicycle horn, they would feel as if they were about to have an orgasm. It seemed to work really well.

Paul then removed this idea from the girls’ mind and they were fine. The horn no longer had any effect on them. If he hadn’t removed this idea, how long would it have lasted? Do ideas introduced through hypnosis gradually fade away? Anybody know?

Here’s a link to Paul McKenna. http://www.paulmckenna.com/

Same here. When I was in therapy eons ago, the psychologist I was seeing tried hypnosis in an attempt to make me less guarded and it failed. He told me he wasn’t surprised, since hypnosis depends greatly on a high comfort level with giving up control.