Anyone familiar with braiding cord?

I recently bought an acoustic guitar (after 15 years of not having one). I want to make a strap for it. My idea is to make 7 (or so) lengths of I-cord (for non-knitters, that’s idiot-cord, a term coined by the immortal Elizabeth Zimmerman) and braid them together in a (hopefully) strong and (at least) flat(tish) strap.

So my question is, does anyone know any flat-braiding techniques I can use to make this strap? I have a feeling the generic left-over-middle-right-over-middle-left-over-etc. isn’t going to work for this many cords…

Here’s a site that shows you how to braid five strings together. It looks like it could be easily adaptable for seven strings, but I would practice it once or twice with five to get a feel for it. I’ve braided with more than three strings before and it isn’t too tricky, but it does take practice. I’m wondering if a macrame piece might work better for your purpose though.

Your link leads to a deleted thread here.

I’m not sure if this was what MissMossie meant to link to or not, but thisis how I learned to do 5 strand flat braids. And yes, it will work with 7, 9, 11 or any odd number, just keep counting pairs until you get to the single on the end.

I just bookmarked that, WhyNot. Thank you!

I’m flabbergasted at the dearth of actual instructional material on macrame on the internet. I’m so used to knitting and crochet, which each have metric googolloads of instructional information online, that It shocked me how few sites there are that actually instruct for macrame, as opposed to showing off projects and selling stuff.

**jayjay[/b[, what fiber are you planning to use? I’d be worried that knitted i-cord would stretch too much for a guitar strap, unless you used cotton or maybe cut-up grocery bags.

If you’re set on knitting a strap, I’ve seen patterns for felted ones, but you really don’t need a pattern for something that simple.

Bottom-of-the-bargain-bin Red Heart acrylic, actually. I have a bunch of that stuff that I bought way back when I started knitting and within about a week realized that I had no desire to wear anything made of it next to my skin, so it’s been sitting for a couple of years in my stash box.

The felting is a good idea, except that Red Heart wouldn’t felt if you washed it in sulfuric acid while beating it against a diamond washboard…

I’m not familiar with the mechanics of i-cord, not being a knitter, but a four strand round cord is pretty non-stretchy when made out of acrylic. Maybe you could make four strand cords and then 7 or 9 strand those together.

The fasted four strand method I know of requires a partner and some sort of weights. Large vitamin bottles work pretty well. 4 Mrs. Butterworths, slightly filled with water, are awesome. Midway down on this page are round 4 strand with weighted bobbin instructions. With the two-person method, you stand facing one another, each holding two bobbins. You move as if to shake right hands, exchange bobbins, and then move as if to shake left hands. The the right again. Keep alternating, and these are really fast once you find the rhythm.

[mock anger] All right, darn you! I just spent over an hour making an anklet out of scrap yarn because I wanted to play with braids after finding those pages for you! [/mock anger]

In doing so, however, I tried out this really cool 5-strand guilloche that’s nearly at the bottom of this page I linked to earlier. I think it’s probably not stiff enough for your guitar strap, but it’s a gorgeous braid that I wanted to share with anyone else who likes braiding who gets lured into your thread. Mine isn’t quite as symmetrical as that picture, but it’s a really pretty looking braid. I’m going to try it on my hair next.

Boondoggleman has some pretty detailed instructions for various cool weaves and stitches. It is of course for use with their Boondoggle plastic lace, but the same techniques are of course adaptable to any material.

You will probably want to use the “super brick stitch” or “wall” for a guitar strap. Of course, they only use three square stitches side by side but you could make the wall as wide as you want using the same superbrick technique.