Anyone Have a Good Elk Steak Recipe?

My brother shot an elk recently and gave me a grocery bag full of elk round steaks and elk t-bones. I’ve been asking around and did a google search for ideas on what a good marinade for the meat.

I’ve been told to marinate it in milk overnight to get rid of the gamey taste, but my brother and others have told me its not that gamey to begin with (and marinating it in milk just sounds gross). I was also told that deboning the meat before cooking helps the flavor.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

This my wife’s family’s recipe for venison steaks, which has worked well on beef, too.

1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup red wine vinegar (or red wine and vinegar totalling 1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon wooster sauce

IIRC, elk does seem to be less gamey than other deer (although I only have moose and caribou to compare it to). I’ve only had elk once, and it was in stewing pieces. Nummy!

A good all-round marinade is enough beer to cover, onion to taste, a couple cloves of garlic, dash of worcestershire sauce and about 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

The soaking in milk thing helps a little when dealing with a moose that’s been shot too late in the season, but not enough as far as I’m concerned. Bull moose in full rut is just ICKY no matter what you do to it.

I just mix a couple small cans of cream of mushroom soup, with salt, pepper, and chopped onion and put it over the steaks and bake them in the oven. It’s really easy and tastes great.

Rachelle said what I wuz gonna say! Except that I’d add a small shot of Teriakyi and Worsterchire sauces and put it in a crock-pot.

Fenris

Depending on how old and lean the animal was, I’d just cook it like a good beef steak.

Personally, I prefer Moose, but elk is fine too.

Teriyaki Elk.

Yummm…

A splash of Liquid Smoke makes it pretty yummy too. I forgot to add that earlier. I don’t think I’ve ever put Teriakyi and Worsterchire with it but that sounds good too. I’ll have to try it!