Anyone have experience switching for a Mac to windows?

So we can exclude trojans from Windows consideration, too? Gee. An exploit that delivers personal information, passwords, etc. to others. No worries to you, I guess. Can we then ignore all trojans and viruses that infect your computer through user action? That is to say, a box just sitting on the web has to be successfully, externally attacked? I’d say that’s unrealistic, computers are used and exploits that result from use should be “fair game” for consideration.

You said it’s “…fact that there are essentially zero current exploits for OS X,”

…and I proved you wrong. There’s plenty of exploits, the number is on par with Vista, in fact.

You offered that “I’ll challange you to a little contest: I’ll pay you $1,000 for each example of a currently circulating Mac OS X attack you can find, if you pay me $10 for each Windows attack I find.”

and I found proof that there is a current attack, in multiple forms, circulating today. But now you say that trojans don’t count. Well, if that’s the case then the current “downadup” can be ignored since its neither virus or trojan, it’s a worm. It’s infecting computers through a bug patched over three months ago so it proves Kinthalis correct about firewalls and me correct with I say a well-patched system (and there’s an automatic process for this) would have been safe.

Here’s more…

Here’s one that bypassed the email “quarantine system” - part of what makes OS-X “invulnerable”. Of course, the user had to open an email so that may not pass your test for hands-off infection.

Article Exploit: OSX.Exploit.MetaData.B

Discovered: November 20, 2007

Description: Mac OS X 10.5, Leopard, provides a “quarantine” system that alerts users when they attempt to open applications that arrived via Mail, Safari or iChat, or that came in disk images via these programs. It also alerts users the first time they launch any other application they have installed or manually added to their Applications folder. This system should inform users of all cases when such executable files are being opened, but a bug in the quarantine system, discovered by Heise Security on November 20, 2007, can allow users to launch attachments, which may be malicious, from Mail.

The principle behind this system is Leopard’s LaunchServices database, which records all applications or executable files that are added to a user’s Mac. However, when some executable attachments arrive by e-mail, this protection does not operate correctly.
…here’s one that exploited a hole in Adobe flash:

Adobe Critical vulnerabilities have been identified in Adobe Flash Player that could allow an attacker who successfully exploits these potential vulnerabilities to take control of the affected system. A malicious SWF must be loaded in Flash Player by the user for an attacker to exploit these potential vulnerabilities. Users are recommended to update to the most current version of Flash Player available for their platform.

…but again you had to surf to a webpage with infected contect so the “hands-off” rule is broken again.
Here’s a hole in Safari that allows shell access…

Article MacBook hacked in security contest
One of two “honeypot” MacBook Pros at the CanSecWest security conference has been successfully hacked, according to officials. The Vancouver, British Columbia event had established a contest to try and gain user-level shell access in Mac OS X over a wireless network, which was successfully accomplished after contest hosts eased rules and allowed security experts to attack through code sent through malicious websites instead of directly compromising the OS itself.
…here’s one that exploited a flaw in Quicktime to steal passwords (no worries there for anybody, right)…

[indent]Article A Trojan horse exploiting a flaw in Apple’s QuickTime that was patched two weeks ago is infecting MySpace.com users’ computers, collecting confidential information, including passwords, several security companies said on Monday.

Look - I don’t have anything against OS-X. I like Unix, really I do. I was an early user of NeXT on which OS-X is based. It’s pretty nifty, really. But it’s obviously a pet peeve of mine to hear the fanboys rave about how invulnerable it is when it’s no more invulnerable than nearly any other operating system you can name, Windows included.

A well-patched, firewalled system is very resistant to infection. It’s better when combined with a knowledgeable user. A difference, though, is that Apple welds the covers closed and tells the users that they can be stupidly optimistic about their risks and creates a false sense of security. The fanboys wank-off to their altars to Steve Jobs and then get surprised when something bad happens. Like the devoted faithful, though, they sweep the issue aside with a boastful, “Well, at least we’re better then those damned Windows users.”.

I see the same thing out of the Linux devotees all the time. A coworker spent months getting a copy of Evolution working in Linux, all the time saying how much better he was but in the next breath complaining about he couldn’t share calendars with the rest of us Exchange users.

It goes back to what I said earlier. Use what works for you. Use what runs the programs you want to run. But don’t pretend that “think different” is “thinking better”.

Belrix - your cites just don’t vibe with real world experience. While I do think the Mac OS does have a slight inherently better security, I would agree that the more important factor probably is security through obscurity.

In any case, the number of announced viruses for each OS is irrelevant - the only thing that is relevant here is what percentage of each actually tend to get the viruses. I think that anyone who works in any capacity helping other people with their computers would agree that fixing virus related problems is much more common on PCs. Whatever the reason for that is, doesn’t matter as a course of practicality. And that’s not even getting into the issue of all the malware that comes with legitimate software and USB sticks.

Sure, a well informed user on a PC with virus protection might be on an even keel as a poorly informed user on a mac without virus protection. But it definitely requires, statistically speaking, more vigilance.

Macs have four mouse buttons.

Reinstalling Windows is a great way to regain a lot of performance. I know people who do twice-yearly rebuilds and consider it well worth the time. If you’ve never had to rebuild, I can only conclude that you don’t install and work with a lot of large software packages, or that you have bleeding-edge hardware which helps mask the performance falloff over time.

I’ve also had to reinstall Windows when applications have got themselves tied up in unremovable knots - that happened to me once with Office. It was impossible to uninstall or repair, and unusable, so the entire machine had to be rebuilt.

I’m not saying that it’s common - just that it’s not unheard of.

<shrug> Let’s see, here’s what I work with every day, and is installed on most computers in the house:

Office Suite
Visual Studio (usually 2-4 versions, as I have to work with all of 'em)
SQL Server (1-2 versions)
Photoshop
One computer is a Visual SourceSafe server, all others have the client
A whole pile of games (currently: WoW, Left4Dead, Civ, and about 50 more)
IIS on my XP Pro/Vista machines
Synergy
Virtual PC on at least 2 machines, used daily (corporate VPNs are a pain)
Various browsers in multiple versions
Various utilities (space monger, text editors, etc)

Current computer was pretty high end when I bought it, but it’s going on 3 years old now. Second computer I use daily is, lessee, 6 years old. Newest computer in the house is my husband’s, and it’s a couple years old.

Times I’ve reinstalled the OS: 0

I leave it up to you to decide if my hardware is leading edge and if I don’t run many big apps.

I quite agree with your last paragraph here.

I don’t think I’ve ever been hit by a true virus. Best I think of is being hit be a trojan (and woe to me for downloading it) and, of course, adware - just another form of trojan.

All of it required me to download something I didn’t fully understand and install it and, in that model, the Mac is no safer other than there’s less evil people targeting the OS with this kind of software.

On the other hand, as an experienced user of PC’s, I know that this crap is out there and I’m vulnerable. I think most OS-X people are clueless, by the choice of the Apple PR people, that their systems can, and occasionally are, being infected by various malware programs.

My parents are my litmus test for an average PC user. I’ve trained them to keep the auto-update feature of Windows turned on. I’ve gotten them to install anti-virus (much of which is also now anti-adware) that automatically updates itself. I’ve trained them away from phishing scams and to never follow a link mailed to you in an email.

I no longer show up annually and have to spend a day repairing and updating their machine. PC’s can be easily maintained with just basic vigilance. I think it’s a vigilance that Mac users are literally trained not to have.

I think its quite true these days that Windows very rarely needs to be reinstalled (although I agree that Windows gradually slows down as the registry grows enormous, among other things, so a refresh does speed things up, but this is optional maintenance, not required.)

However, this was demonstrably not true in early Windows versions, although perhaps you’re defining “very first versions of Windows” in a way I don’t follow. Windows 3.0 for example would routinely need to be reinstalled, because some part of the system software would smurf itself; I recall doing it every couple of weeks at one point, and I was a developer any savvy about this stuff. Win 3.1 came along very shortly after, and it was stable and needed a reinstall was much more rarely, perhaps never for many users.

OTOH, my Mac with 10.4.x did need a reinstall at one point, because I couldn’t update to Leopard and there was no other way to do get around this problem. So, per Apple support’s suggestion, I wiped the boot drive and just installed from the Leopard disks. No big deal, but reinstalls do happen on Mac.

By “very first version” I mean that version of Windows that was actually not even trying to be an OS. It was an executable you started from the command line just like every other program. You’d start Windows, then start your app.

The first version I actively managed was Windows 286. I was an IT drone and maintained an office full of them.

Windows 3.1 was much better, I agree.

Aha, that makes sense; I was starting at the first version that did think it was an OS (it was a little deluded :slight_smile: ), Win3.0. And of course 3.0 was the first to try hiding the plumbing of the system, which meant it was immature, hence Win 3.1x. I can see Win 2.11 and earlier not needing to be reinstalled, much like you’d probably never reinstall Excel, because it was just an app.

Jeez, you had to use 2.x regularly? That EGA desktop was horrifying to look at; I had a hard time getting past that.

Yeah, it was bad.

But really, back in the pre-Internet days, things were pretty easy. No virus checkers, no downloading crap, heck, there wasn’t even E-Mail.

I don’t agree with this statement regardless of the company you work for.

I’m a Windows user since there was a windows, and with each version I find the need to burn down the hard drive with a fresh OS install every six months to a year.

I’m a programmer, so my knowledge on hardware and software is fairly decent.

For some reason, every version of Windows’ registry gets so clogged down with software installs/removes and various crap that windows does that it’s a necessity to R/R the OS depending on computer use.

I’ve become an expert in backing up and restoring software onto a clean OS. It’s not a large problem per se, it’s just a way of life with MS.

I was really looking for personal, practical advice rather than a debate on the inherent merits of the two OS’s.

IMO, since I was one of the debaters, is that the “practical advice” from the debate is to not use the commonly advised “resistance to viruses” as a decision point. The two have very similar histories with respect to exploits, viruses, etc. despite the PR.

My earlier advice, buried in the midst of all that debate, is to use the OS that lets you run the programs you wish to run. In other words, choose the programs first, then choose the OS that supports them. You don’t run an OS to run an OS, you run an OS to run programs.

Familiarity also has a lot to do with it as does cost of the hardware to support it. It’s all a balancing act. One thing that worked against Apple for years, and still does IMO, is their proprietary hardware is more expensive than similarly-performing Windows hardware.

It’s prettier, though. Apple makes pretty gear.

The computer I’m writing this on is an Windows XP, installed on a Dell computer 2002. I’ve never reinstalled, never had malware, never payed for neither firewall or anti virus protection, but used the built in firewall and free antivirus software (AVG). I’ve been downloading shit for years, with some common sense, and have been surfing about some too, perhaps where I shouldn’t be surfing.

The computer and the installation is just fine still seven years later. If you have some common sense, update your software (automatically), have a firewall (builtin), use a antivirus software (free), you’ll probably have no trouble at all with your Windows machine.

Mac or Windows? - I don’t know which one is best for you. But there’s a whole lot of Windows mythology out there, unfortunately, which will make it harder for you to make a rational desicion on what’s best for you.

Don’t believe anything you read, to put it nicely.