Anyone have/had a dog diagnosed with IVDD?

My 2 year old Dachshund/Chihuahua/Miniature Pincher was diagnosed last week with Invertrable Disc Disease in his L5-L6 and L6-L7 vertebrae (down near his pelvis). He’s not overweight (super active actually) and hasn’t had any trauma. He’s a rescue so we have no idea about his genetic background. He all of a sudden couldn’t walk last week and we took him to the ER vet (it was after 9 at night) and they diagnosed him with it. He can now walk since he’s on various meds for pain/inflammation.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Sorry- can’t help you there. Just popped in to see what others had experienced as I suspect something similar to this is up with my 7 year old Yorkie. He’s in otherwise great health, slim, active…kinda sad.

Googled it just to be sure before I posted: https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/intervertebral-disc-disease

This is one of those common breed-specific issues for Dachshunds so that’s probably why your pup developed it. As mentioned in the link, breeds with normal (i.e. not elongated) spines can also get it but it’s less common.

One of my greyhounds got this a couple years ago. It took us about a year to actually diagnose it because his symptoms evolved gradually. It started with slight difficulty on stairs so we were puzzling out whether it was an issue with pain or bad eyesight. Vets first diagnosed it as bilateral groin muscle strains, likely from slipping on the floor or ice (it was winter at the time) and doing “the splits”. So we did a few months of physical therapy, that was ineffective. Finally, he got to the point where even picking him up to carry him up the stairs caused him to scream, we took him in for an MRI he was diagnosed with this in his lower lumbar vertebra. We opted for surgery although we had no idea if it would help him or not. Fortunately, it did.

Added: What we had done was this (from the link): “Surgical decompression of the spine by removal of the bone over the spinal canal is nearly always recommended (Figure 2).”

BTW, this is neither mundane nor pointless. I hope you can get treatment for your pupper!