Anyone here with a bomb shelter?

Just curious. There were quite a few of 'em back in the cold war days, but I don’t know a single person who has one. Do you use it?

No, but I’ve thought from time to time about building one if, for nothing else, use as a storm shelter. It would have saved my family from evacuating Hurricane Rita and would be welcome when the occasional tornado comes rumbling through.

Years ago I offered to build my parents a bomb shelter and my mom had an unusual but interesting comment I’ve never forgotton. She said were a nuclear war to come, she’d not want to survive it since life after would be untenable. I’m probably inclined to agree.

I agree, there’s no point in holing up for a few months just so’s you can die shortly after you emerge.

I saw a movie recently. The dad was all fanatical about the family doing everything military style in the case of a cold-war bomb incident. Rather than taking the family on vacation, he made them stay in the bomb shelter for a couple weeks. Later in their lives, the daughter dropped acid and got lucky in it. It just seems like such a nifty addition to any home!

Why, yes. It came as a package deal with my slightly used bridge

Well, my husband built a barn which in a way is a fall out shelter for when I am irratiable.

It is refered to around here as The Man Cave.
Complete with Cable, Electricity, phone and cold running water.

It won’t stave off a nuclear holocaust, but against PMS it holds up just fine.

I’ve really enjoyed the occasional show about the adventurous sort that turns a decomissioned Minuteman missle silo into a home. If you’re modifications haven’t been too extreme you’d likely still have protection against the ultimate and the ones they detailed had monsterous amounts of square footage.

When I was growing up some people a couple of houses up the street from us built a bomb shelter. This would have been, oh, 1960 or so. All us kids (over 60 of us under 16 on that street) had a great time playing in the shelter and pretending to be all post-apocalyptic and stuff.

My dad, an ordnance officer in the Air Force, just laughed at the thought of anyone wanting to survive a nuclear strike.

I help at this museum. I know of at least half-a-dozen other smaller WW2 shelters in the area which also survive. And up the road, there’s rabbit-warrens of Cold War bunkers on abandoned USAF bases, but they’re a bit more difficult to explore!

We had one.

A previous owner of our house had built a crude one in one corner of the basement. It wasn’t much to look at – two walls were the house foundation, the other two were made out of cinder blocks. It had a strong door and a false ceiling, with vent holes for air. There was an electrical outlet and light fixture, but no water or drain. It might have been effective in a tornado, but wouldn’t have offered any extra protection in a nuclear attack.

We used it as a walk-in closet for a few years, and finally tore it out when we remodeled the basement.

In the eighties, my dad started building a house back home in Lebanon. Since the war seemed so far from over then, he made sure it had a bomb shelter. It wouldn’t survive a nuclear attack, but it was meant to be safe even if directly shelled. The house is built on a beautiful spot; top of a hill, clear view of the surrounding area for miles, lots of greenery and pine trees. So the location was used as an artillery post.

Not me, but a fellow classic car enthusiast/body man has one at his home, built during the 50s. It is separate form the house, made of concrete and buried in the earth. Veyr solid piece of work.

Of course, nowdays, he uses it for parts storage. But what a piece of history.