Anyone ID This Kids' Novel?

In recent years, I came across a book about a doll or stuffed animal (a rabbit, IIRC) that got lost from the original owner. The book is all about its adventures as it passes through various character’s lives as they, too, will inevitably lose the doll/animal somehow. And, in turn, someone else will find it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Anyone know the title?

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane? I haven’t read it, but I’ve been meaning to, and the WIki article sounds like it might be the right one.

Edit: in passing I’ll recommend the author, Kate DiCamillo, to folks. Her “Tale of Despereaux” is a fabulous children’s fantasy, one of the best I’ve read in many years, and “Because of Winn Dixie” is also very good, albeit in a “Let’s teach children important life lessons” kind of way.

Edit Edit: spoiler for “Because of Winn Dixie” to counter something you might suspect I’m hinting at:

the dog doesn’t die

Yes! This could very well be the story I am trying to recall. Thanks for sharing! We enjoyed “Because of Winn Dixie”. The family will have to give the other a try, too. We’re always looking for a good “G” or “PG” film. My wife and I are just a different breed than the mainstream. We could live in Disney World and never grow up! :smiley:

(Sorry for a very slow reply…just going back through my posts. Something I should have done awhile ago.)

Along similar lines is the 1981 made-for-TV movie The Big Stuffed Dog, about an oversized Snoopy doll that gets lost and has various “adventures”.

I did not imagine this.

Isn’t there a surreal book about a stuffed bear that came out during the 2000s? I don’t think it was a picture book, which was one of the odd things about it.

It sounds like Edward Tulane to me too. I’ve read the book and it’s lovely. Easily my favorite of the author’s works (and she writes good books.) She brings complex ideas and emotions to a level younger children can empathize with without talking down to them.

I also picked up Edward Tulane at a library book sale and really enjoyed it.

StG

Since this thread was started, I’ve read Tulane, and it’s excellent, but Despereaux remains my favorite by her. And Tulane is definitely the book referenced in the OP.