Anyone know if this is legit or bogus?

I recently received the following forwarded email. While it sounds slightly plausible, it also resembles a lot of hoaxes that I have seen. One website I looked at said it was a Dominican Republic area code, and the rate for their long distance company was 7.9 cents per minute, but they quoted the same (7.9 cents/min.)rate when I entered 900 as the area code. And that’s certainly not correct.

Well give it a look, and tell me what you think.

I would appreciate any info on this. Not that I need to know, but this has just picqued my interest.

Very true Kid. I saw a piece on T.V. in Canada a while ago on this same 809 scam. If you want to learn more, go to the Better Business Bureau site www.bbb.org and click News and Alerts. There is a July 1997 Alert on this subject (There could be something more current elsewhere).

When did they move the Virgin Islands to the Bahamas?

Also see, from the Urban Legends pages, www.snopes.com , 809 Area Code

your humble TubaDiva
Sorry, wrong number

Papa Bear is right–the Bahamas and the British Virgin Islands are two different places. To call the Bahamas from the US requires a country code–242. The British Virgins (does that sound like a new group name for the Spice Girls, or what?) can be dialed as a regular long-distance number, but the area code is 284.

The Dominican Republic is in fact area code 809, as was said originally, and can be dialed without a country code. But since the warning didn’t know that, it’s safe to assume it’s a hoax.

I’m not sure I’ve EVER come across an e-mail warning that wasn’t a fake. I usually file such things with chain letters that assure me failing to pass it on will destroy my love life for all time.

Rich Barr
massivemaple@hotmail.com
AOL Instant Messenger: Hrttannl

Actually, I once actually got a page with an strange area code. I didn’t return it because I don’t return long distance pages. (I have a support pager and have no reason to get paged from outside our local area.) I mentioned it a few days later at work (when my support week was up and I was passing the pager off to my relief) and they forwarded me more or less the same e-mail quoted above. So, those pages do show up. This was about a year and a half ago. I don’t remember if it was an 809 area code or not, but it was definately a long distance number.

“You can’t run away forever; but there’s nothing wrong with getting a good head start.” — Jim Steinman

Dennis Matheson — Dennis@mountaindiver.com
Hike, Dive, Ski, Climb — www.mountaindiver.com

I once got a fax from an 809 number that started with the following line:

“This is not a scam”.
I don’t what it was about since I didn’t read past that and besides I was laughing too hard.