anyone like the Who?

Keith Moon. As he did on the album, as I recall.

I love the who, one my three favorite rock bands(the other two are the Beatles and Pink Floyd…I don’t know why it’s just British Bands). I guess it’s partially because my dad is a huge Who fan…and I became a fan when I saw the movie of TOMMY. I later saw Quadraphenia, but it didn’t do much for me.

I since heard a number of their albums, courtsey of Dad(who’s pleased I’m getting into his music…and I started as a teen no less). I’ve since seen The Kids are alright and really enjoyed it, particulary since it’s one of the few places to find that great Happy Jack Video.

But even my dad won’t pay the prices to go to one of their numerous farewall and reunion tours in which only half of them are the original members.

I love the band. They are, indeed, one of the definitive bands of rock, and the great thing is their music has held up so well. There’s little better than listening to Tommy on a rainy Sunday, just ghosting around the house with nothing to do but think.

I think people will be listening to The Who for fun long after everyone who was alive when they were touring is dead. What’s more, I don’t think many people would dispute that statement.

The Who have maybe the best name ever in rock.

They made the first good use of synths.

They were performing shows like Live at Leeds before Led Zepplin even released an album. It gets missed, but they were huge in creating heavy rock. This can be missed if you only hear the studio recordings. Get the live ones, though, and you start to appreciate them not only as having a great songwriter, but as a BAND, with all four members contributing an indespensible part of the whole. Take out any one of them, and you greatly alter the product, which is one of my requirements for a truly great band.

All that guitar smashing, stage trashing, and hotel ruining you see bands going off on: invented by the Who. Keith Moon is reported to have carried a hatchet in a small case for times when he wanted to attack his hotel room.

Hey, you skipped my favorite Entwhistle composition - Whiskey Man. :smiley:

Happy Jack does make me happy. :smiley:

I first saw The Who before they were big enough to get top billing (at least in the U.S.), when they opened for the Doors in August of 1968 at the Singer Bowl in New York. I saw them again the following year at Woodstock, when they were rolling out songs from Tommy.

I still love to crank up the albums up as loud as they can go.

My Uncle Mike turned me on to Tommy when I was nine, and when I was ten, I talked my dad into dropping me off at the theater to see the movie while he went next door to watch the Exorcist. I was completely creeped out by the snakes in the Acid Queen segment, but I was way too scared of “that devil movie” to walk into the next theater to find Dad.

At any rate… Given the enormous number of songs The Who recorded, I only really like about 20%, but if you think about it, that’s a lot of songs. But if I never ever hear Baba O’Riley again, I will be one very happy camper.

Oh yeah, also - saw them live during their 1980 farewell tour at the Rosemont Horizon, near Chicago. We were all absolutely convinced this would be our last chance.

The playing, the writing, the singing, the attitude… what’s not to like?
Welcome, rollnrocker, we celebrate your discovery.
And BTW Qadgop has done an outstanding child-raising job if they’re stealing his Who and Floyd CDs…

Hey, watch out! That’s the Allstate Arena now!

My husband & I are long-time Who fans.

However, we’re not the biggest fans in the house. That would be our daughters, aged 8 & 4.

They love to rock out to The Who while cleaning their rooms.

Gives me a transgender moment when they sing “I’m a boy/I’m a boy/But my ma won’t admit it/” :wink:

Arwen’s (8) favorite song: Pictures of Lilly. Not explaining that one to her for ages.

Juliet’s (4) favorite: Baba O’Riley.

Mama’s so proud. :smiley:

Mrs. Furthur

Definitely a Who fan. My first album was Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy, and it’s still one of my favorites.

Brilliant stuff.

Curious. Me too.
I’m surprised no one has tossed in the albums “It’s Hard” or “Face Dances” to which I will someday lose my hearing in my commute. But really, did they put out an albums that sucked? I can’t think of one.

I saw The Who in 1986 or there abouts, and they were looking kinda old. How can they not appear a bunch of duffers on stage NOW? And as for the Kinks, while I will defend them to the death–they gotta be even older, no? How much fun can a 60+ year old man be to watch especially given the high energy of the music??

Err…have you seen any live shots of Mick Jagger (born '43, now 61 years old) lately? That guy still has it. Wrinkled, yes; duffer, no.

The Who…rocks. Dude, that’s all I can say. They just rock.

And now I shall bust out my sig:

I’m with Sengkelat on this one, Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy has been my favorite Who record since forever. In high school we used to go see The Kids Are Alright at the midnight movie. I’ve always liked the Who, but I’ve never been a huge fan. My brother saw them in concert in the late 70s and said it was the worst show he’d ever seen. For hard rock I’d always turn to Zeppelin. But I’m only familiar with their more popular stuff, mostly cause I’ve never been that interested in hearing more.

My really most favorite song is Teen-age Wasteland.

:wink: