[QUOTE=RickJay]
TA is still one of my favourite games ever, and IMHO it’s
- The best RTS game ever, and
- One of the four best PC games of ANY kind ever. (the other four: Civilization, TIE Fighter, and World of Warcraft.)
But just doing it again is… well, it’s just doing it again. It’s nice to have, but it’s like watching Revenge of the Sith; it’s got space battles and light saber fights and that’s all well and fine, but I saw it in 1977, so the magic’s not there. Or it’s like the PS3 and the XBox 360 - they’re just the PS2 and the XBox with better graphics cards, really. It’s the Wii that’s breaking new ground.
The next TRULY great RTS will be something innovative. Something that isn’t just a race to collect resources and build factories and units.
[/QUOTE]
While I disagree strongly about your taste in games (give me Starcraft, Civ II, and Everquest, thanks), I am mostly with your sentiment about the RTS genre. When I was a teenager and I picked up Warcraft II and C&C, they were excellent games. When I picked up Starcraft and TA a few years later… well, one of them was an obsession, one of them was technically amazing with (as someone mentioned upthread) no soul, and no matter which one you liked, you had to agree that they were seminal games which would define the genre going forward. Then, Warcraft III came out, and it was a near-perfect refinement of the small-scale tactical RTS, to the point where I don’t know if they’ll ever need to make a Warcraft IV. I think at this point, SupCom has the correct idea - the next seminal RTS game will be on the grand scale, at least as much strategy as tactics. This isn’t it. This is a solid eight out of ten, but it’s not that 9.5/10 game that is going to hang over the genre for the next ten years.
I mean, don’t take that as too much of a criticism. If you were one of those depraved souls who liked TA more than Starcraft to begin with, goodness knows you’ve waited long enough for your sequel. Then again, I’m not sure when we decided that we were looking for revolutionary here, either, as opposed to just “a solid game, even if it is a bit of a resource hog”.
I guess you could say that’s my review - TA 2.0, pretty decent game but not really my thing, happy for you guys who enjoy it, and nothing at all wrong with that. 