Anyone read Ed Zotti's "The Barn House" - If so, what did you think of it?

Anyone here read “The Barn House: Confessions of an Urban Rehabber”. Did you like it? Recommended buy or not?

No one?

We’re all cowering in fear.

Doesn’t this thread belong in the other forum that no one reads? :slight_smile:

I read it, enjoyed it thoroughly, and have recommended it to a few people.

I read it (of course, I got an autographed free copy…) but after reading it I would have bought it.

The Barn House is very interesting from a few different angles. First and foremost, you get to know an awful lot about Ed Zotti and the type of person that he is, and I mean that in a positive light. He reminds me of myself in one manner, in that when faced with a seemingly intractable obstacle - spending years and hundreds of thousands of dollars and untold thousands of man-hours to fix up a house - he keeps at it and keeps at it and doggedly pursues it until it’s done. He even spent time sifting his yard - the soil - for debris, just to make sure the job was really done. The book is also a bit personal; there’s a couple of things I’m surprised that he put in there.

The Barn House also is about an enormous amount of DIY home rehabilitation. Anyone who has tackled a huge DIY task and got in over their heads will identify with the part where Ed is trying to assemble pipes through innumerable joists, soldering them piece-by-piece. Or dealing with the home inspectors, recalcitrant contractors, and last-minute changes.

The Barn House also contains a moderate amount of Chicago history, and probably folks in Chicago will appreciate this.

It was an easy read overall - I took it on an overseas business trip and read half the book on the flight out.

If I had a criticism, it would be that the wrap-up at the end of the book seems a little rushed - it seems the house progress goes from 75% to 95% complete very suddenly - but that may have been due to length considerations.

I read it and found it to be very entertaining and enjoyable. Pretty light and easy reading. I do think that living in the Chicago area and having a little background in construction helped me enjoy it more than someone from Phoenix who also never encountered lien waivers or called to get crane rental pricing.

I’ve read about 2/3 of my autographed copy. Not bad stuff. He writes well, for an editor. :slight_smile:

It’s a pretty good read, as others have recommended.

Clarification: I did read the whole book, of course, I was stating that it was so easy I could read half of it on one long 10-hour flight.

Are you kidding right now? The Barn House is almost as popular as " Straight Dope Chicago"
Blockbuster is a word that comes to mind.

Oh give it a rest already.

Give your boot licking a rest.

Give your snide comments about the other posters in this thread a rest.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator