Anyone Running Windows XP64?

I think my very old (9.5 years) hard drive that runs the OS on my computer is failing. If nothing else, I can’t even get WinXP to boot in safe mode and the hard drive sure sounds like it’s struggling. So I need to reinstall the OS on a different hard drive (luckily I’ve got one just sitting around in the computer, just waiting to be partitioned and used once I’m done backing everything up using the Ubuntu LiveDVD.)

Anyway, a few years ago I bought a copy of Windows XP through the university bookstore’s program. It also came with a copy of Windows XP64, which I have never installed due to a number of known and potential hardware compatibility issues. In addition, I’m not sure how good the software support for 32-bit applications is. While it wouldn’t kill me to install the OS and see if I can get it to work, I hate to spend the time if it’s not going to work. If I had a copy of Windows 7 64-bit I’d give that a shot, but I’m not about to go spend two or three hundred dollars on a new OS.

So, is anyone running Win XP64, or has tried it in the past?

As you intimate, XP64 was a bit ahead of its time.

The only reason to run a 64-bit OS is if you have 64-bit apps, or a bunch of 32-bit apps that you run simultaneously and that collectively would benefit from more than 3GB. And of course you need 64-bit hardware and more than 3GB of physical RAM.

I’d be a bit surprised to see that in a 9 year old computer. Unless you have a new box with an ancient HD you promoted from a prior box. And if you do have a new box with new accessories, it’s doubtful there are XP64 drivers for those accessories.

My thought is there is (probably) no advantage to XP64 for what you were doing with your PC a week ago when the HD seemed fine. There is a bunch of cool new stuff being writtten for Win7-64. But it’s more the Win7-ness than the 64-ness which makes it cool.

Those 2 factors together say XP64 is at best a no-gain move, and at worst a week’s worth of distraction and annoyance followed by falling back to XP32.

In either case, the knowledge you would gain from the experiment is pretty much useless. Nobody else is installing XP64 on machines now, nor are you likely to do so again. Whether you ultimately succeed or fail at the eattempt would come down simply to the coincidence of whether there was a XP64 driver for some accessory you happen to own but can’t live without. There’s no triumph is succeeding at that, and no useful learning in failiing either.

We’ve used it at work for the past four years or so, on a few PCs where we need the additional RAM. It works mostly the same, but there are annoyances, both with the OS itself, and applications. Things like if the computer went to power saving mode, it wouldn’t wake up. There were other weirdnesses (I don’t recall what; I wasn’t the person running it).

When it worked well, it was just like 32 bit XP, so really the only time you’ll notice a difference is when it’s causing problems.

Is the computer also 9.5 years old or just the drive? It might be time to upgrade if you do a lot of surfing. Win Explorer 7 or 8, and a lot of web applets will often be pretty pokey on a 10 year old P3 or P4 CPU.

The computer is a homebrew. The hard drive was pulled from an old Dell, but I’ve got three newer SATA drives in there with everything else. (The only reason I don’t wipe the spare one in the computer right away is because I’ve been using it for file transfers and want to be sure that everything on there is junk. I could buy a new IDEE drive to replace the old one but I don’t feel like spending the money.) The CPU is an Athlon64 3500, it’s running 2 GB RAM, and the rest is such a crazy mishmosh of stuff that it’s sometimes a nightmare. For instance, the sound card is as old as the failing hard drive (thus the driver problems with anything newer than XP), it’s got an old Hauppauge WinTV card in there from 2003, three optical drives, a rarely used Zip drive, a relatively modern but not cutting edge video card (but I’m stuck with AGP), and so on. I’m currently pricing out a new system on NewEgg, but it’ll be a while before I order anything.

The computer was pretty overbuilt when I put it together five years ago and parts of it still are.

Well, for what it’s worth, it’s not the hard drive and it’s not a software issue. I couldn’t get it to work reliably long enough to even use Ubuntu, much less to launch setup to reinstall XP. Then it wouldn’t post consistently and would hang during different parts of the boot sequence when it did post. Now the fans aren’t even running properly. I need to check with a tester but I am about 95% certain that the PSU is shot. (Again. How is it that I have to get a new PSU every two to three years?)

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I’ve decided that if I ever want to use that copy of XP64 I’ll try it on my MacBook in either Boot Camp or Parallels.

BTW, even though it’s marketed as XP, it really is just the desktop version of 64-bit Windows Server 2003. It uses the NT 5.2 kernel, and all the other system files are also based on the Windows 2003 build, not the 32-bit XP build.

I agree that this will be a pointless exercise. You won’t really gain anything if you don’t need to access any extra memory. The only time I have ever used XP64 is when we need to run the Windows logo test at work. My workplace does a little bit of Windows driver development. We can get both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version of a driver signed by Microsoft for the price of one if we get it certified for the XP 32/64 combo. Even though no one would ever use it on an XP64 system in reality, the XP64 WHQL signature is also recognized by 64-bit 2003/Vista/2008/Windows 7, so we can save a little bit of money that way.

I use it at home just because I’ve got it really, just make sure you can get 64bit drivers for EVERYTHING including printers.

It runs just fine, no problems whatsoever but as stated above there’s no point if you have less than 4GB ram.

If you’re still at university you likely qualify for an educational discount on Windows 7.

I had it for a while on my computer at work, and it was kinda buggy. But using a computer 3 years ago that had 4 gigs of ram was pretty badass. I vote go Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, it works really well. If you needed, maybe you could do a 64 bit Ubuntu, and thats free too.