Anyone Seen Chronicles of Riddick? Caution: Spoilers

So anyone seen this movie?
I’ve seen bad reviews so far, but was wondering what the Teeming Millions thought of it.
I honestly don’t care if you spoil it for me. So far, all the reviews I’ve read have essentially said, “What plot!?!”
Is it a decent sci-fi action flick? Worse than “X movie” or what?

Thanks.

Cool looking special effects. The rest of it…bleah…

Basically, picture what would happen if you gave $200 million to the biggest damn Dungeons and Dragons dork you’ve ever met and told him to make a science fiction film. That’s the CoR. Painfully macho, over the top fluff. I mean, the main villains are called NECROBORG*, fer crying out loud.

Kinda entertaining, though, but not something I’d want to see more than once every 4 or 5 years.

• For full effect, say in Monster Truck Voice.

I went into the movie disliking Vin Diesel and prepared to be underwhelmed. I left the movie still dislikeing Vin Diesel but thought the movie was better than I’d anticipated. It’s solid entertaining popcorn flick with a built-in segue to a sequel - worth a matinee admission.

I saw it last night … went in with low expectations, and they were met. It was what it was, pretty silly stuff but fun. Total popcorn movie: check your knowledge of science at the door and prepare to place your Disbelief in a state of suspended animation.

The costumes were really outstanding, props to the props dept. too. Karl Urban (LOTR’s Eomer) wasn’t half bad. But that mullet! Oy!

By the way, it’s NecroMONGERS.

I saw it on Friday, and while it’s got some serious plot problems (the -300[sup]o[/sup] night in Tshirts) the action was fun and there were a few laughs. I liked how they placed this crazy almost-magic existence in what had previously been a “humans vs. aliens” kind of story, and I was reminded of Dune in that there is a whole lot of crazy stuff happening in the universe.

I definately got a “Conker’s BFD” vibe from the ending, and I considered that this is indeed the kind of person who’d have his life story written up in something called a “Chronicle” a few hundred years down the line. Riddick’s a Paul Bunyan of the future.

What the hell was Kira after, anyway? Diod dhe go looking for Riddick, or was she really really set on getting a pair of nightvision eyes?

Kira (Kyra?). My analysis is thusly:
Kira/Jack was idolizing Riddick and decided to go off & have some adventures. So she signed up w/ a Mercenary team, who turned around and sold her into some form of child prostitution/slavery. She escaped from that somewhere along the line – presumably by killing a couple of people – and was subsequently locked up in the Crematoria triple Max. Where later she matured into a total fox.

Aside from why exactly she left New Mecca the above is gleaned from tidbits in the movie.

Vin Diesel – mmm.

Pretty silly stuff but I like that kind of “world’s end” SF, where people hop planets as easily as driving across the country. I liked the look of it.

And boy, that Karl Urban has the best scowl in the business.

I liked it, but then, I liked Pitch Black and wanted to see more of Riddick. I hope it does well enough to continue on. There are supposed to be 2 more Riddick movies, and I want to see both of them.

Sure it’s silly, but you have to know going into these types of movies what you’re getting into. This is not Mystic River. It’s more Dune-ish, as BraheSilver said.

I liked the look of it, the costumes, the special effects, Vin’s badassedness, Kyra’s badassedness, Judi Dench’s etherealness, the visualization of the worlds and the whole atmosphere.

I didn’t like the fact that it was so short. There’s supposed to be a 3-3 1/2 hour cut of the film, which I would like to see. It was a world I wanted to see more of, and I was left wanting more.

I have to say in the movie’s defense that I honestly didn’t realize it was a sequel when I went with a friend to see it. That may have made it better. As it was, it sucked so bad that I actually got up, went to the restroom, walked outside, smoked a cigarette, played a video game and went back into the theater without the slightest bit of curiosity as to what I’d missed. (Judi Dench must need money.)

I totally didn’t even catch that Vaco was Eomer, until just now when Hello Again brought it up.

The necromongers are rather silly - you can tell they’re “evil” because everyone wears black, has heavy eye makeup, and looks sickly pale. And I kept thinking that their “underverse” wasn’t going to be anything like what they were thinking - it seemed more like the place the ship Event Horizon went in that horror/sci fi movie.

Yeah, if you’re looking for great cinema, this probably ain’t it. However, if you’re looking for a good popcorn movie with a couple of badasses, this isn’t a bad choice and you could certainly do worse. But I like Vin Diesel and the Riddick character, so there you go. I liked it.
Snicks

And BraheSilver, you’re dead on with the Conker BFD reference - Mr. Snicks said exactly the same thing as we were coming out last night.

Snicks

I thought that while there were lines that could be cheesy, Diesel’s delivery of them was low key enough that it mitigated the cheesiness factor. In fact I believe it’s his best acting job ever (of course, I also think that Arnie’s best acting job was Mr Freeze, so there ya go…)

This was the best sci-fi/fantasy movie I’ve seen newly in 5 years other than LOTR. Of course, the only ones I can remember in that regard are The Mummy (*2), Stargate, and Dungeons and Dragons, so the bar’s not that high.

having never played conkers bad fur day , can someone explain the reference?

It’s Conan the Barbarian. In Space. Vin plays Arnie. The Necromongers stand in for James Earl Jones’s snake cult.

Badass loner, for mostly selfish reasons, ends up taking out a horrible death cult and becomes “king by his own hand”

If you liked Conan, and think Vin can make a passable Arnie, then it’s for you. If not, then stay away, stay far, far away.

I liked it. Not much, but it was okay.

I thought it was a good popcorn muncher, but then I like the Riddick character. I think it’s Vin Diesel at his best. You can decide if that’s good or not. I definitely got the Conan vibe too, especially with the very last scene of him alone in the throne.

I didn’t get a Conan vibe from it, although now that you mention it, there are similarities. I got more of a Costner’s Postman vibe…

“You Keep what you Kill”, as applicable to single hand combat, was essentially also the credo of the enemy army in the Postman. And the leader dies in single combat at the end, (with the help of an erstwhile ally, nonetheless!!!) and the main character ostensibly takes his place.

I found it entertaining. I thought of Conan while watching it. I think it is worth seeing on the big screen. I wouldn’t see it again on the big screen, but I rarely want to see movies a second time at movie theater prices.

Also, speaking of D&D fans Vin is evidently a gamer. Judy Dench is a big fantasy fan in general, and Vin contacted her to be in the movie. The feel of the movie is very RPG. “See we have a dude who can dodge by moving his soul around against the guy who can see in the dark.” “So it’s psychological.” “Fuck yeah!”

**Good: **

Not as bad as the trailers made it look.

Gothic look of the badguys was very groovy.

Some good dialogue.

The Lord Marshall (Colm Feore)
Looked cheeseball in the trailer, but he played the role quite well. Especially in light of the silly helmet he had to wear most of the time.