Anyone using the current-generation Mac Mini?

Hi folks,

My PC kersploded, so I need a new one. I’ve got my eye on a new Mac Mini… the dual-core i5 2.6Ghz one, probably with 16GB of RAM and a fusion drive.

Apart from day to day computing, I’ll be running recording and sequencing software (Propellerhead Reason), various web-design tools, and Visual Studio (either in a VM or natively under Boot Camp). I don’t do much gaming these days, so 3D and graphics performance isn’t really a concern.

The main thing drawing me to the Mac Mini is the form factor - my previous (Windows) PC was a huge, noisy, power-guzzling beast. The idea of something small and quiet is very appealing. I don’t need it to be portable, and I already have a monitor and keyboard / mouse, so the Mini would seem to be a good fit.

I’m just curious for people’s experience using this little computer - especially for the use-cases mentioned above.

All thoughts welcome. :slight_smile:

We have a few at work. They are used for somewhat heavy-duty graphics work, eg, InDesign, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro. As far as I know, there have never been any problems with them. There are also lots of ports in the back.

Although you really wouldn’t want to carry a Mac Mini around, if you have a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse at a second location, there’s really no reason why you couldn’t.

I’ve got an older Mini and do carry it sometimes; arranging a keyboard and screen away from home is pretty easy these days. Fast to hook up and fast to pack.

Just bought one as an additional computer at home, so I don’t have to bring my work laptop back and forth. Bought a nice monitor and keyboard/mouse and so far I’ve liked it a lot. I use Microsoft Office products as well as photo editing through Adobe Photoshop, so nothing too taxing. It’s been great and the only thing I can complain about is the lack of decent speaker, which I can easily buy.

Thanks all - that’s encouraging.

Thanks for that, Onomatopoeia. I imagine that something like Final Cut Pro would be at least as demanding as what I have planned. Can I ask what spec Minis you’re using and if they are the current (2014) version?

Thanks for all the comments. I bit the bullet and order a 2.6Ghz Mac Mini with 16GB RAM and an SSD. I bought it through a local reseller and got a £40 discount compared to buying the same spec from Apple direct. Yay!

Now I have to wait until Friday for it to arrive. Boo!