Anyone with diagnosed Low T? Straight Dope Doctors

The information contained is what is valuable in that editorial, not the source; it was not an appeal to authority. And he was hardly shilling anything. Just noting that losing excess weight, exercising regularly, drinking alcohol more moderately, eating less “junk” and more vegetables (in particular the cruciferous ones like broccoli and collard greens) are more likely to be effective and have other benefits in addition to increased energy, strength, and libido.

But if you want more authority I can oblige: the FDA.

Many men are prescribed based on a single test taken without regard to what time of day the sample was drawn (there is substantial variation during the day and it is recommended to have more than one sample taken to base a treatment decision upon) and estimates are that at least 28% of the men are prescribed with no blood test done at all. What actually is normal for men at different ages is completely unknown.

No question there is real hypogonadism and there is also a huge desire for a quick fix for more complex problems with many willing to oblige if they can profit in the process. No argument about discussing your problems with your doctor, even mentioning that you have heard “low T” discussed lots and wonder what (s)he thinks about that. That is a bit different however than going in with an agenda to get a test for the current fad diagnosis.

I’m going through this right now. After feeling crappy and tired with no sex drive for way too long, I went to the doctor last week. Lo and behold, T is virtually non-existant and a follow up shows the same for Bio Available Testosterone and Prolactin through the roof.

I’m now waiting for a referral to an endocrinologist and an MRI.

I don;'t think anything in that response negates anything I’ve said.

As for your first link - he is still shilling for his ‘plan’ - and sure - exercising more and eating right is the cure for many things that ails us - wether or not it will “boost testosterone” (as the title to his book implicates) is another question, and shows that he is also pulling into the same mindset that preys on peoples “wanting the fountain of youth”.

IOW - somehow I think we agree more than we don’t.

Bumping this to see how FinsToTheLeft is doing.

I’m unable to have kids and I have never really had a strong libido. I was tested for low-T a couple years ago and the numbers were fine. Different people have different libido’s at different times in their lives. I’m not too worried about my situation.

Hi Nars, thanks for the shout out. I must have forgotten to subscribe to this thread and just saw followup.

I’ve been on cabergoline for about 7 weeks now and it seems to be working! I’ve lost almost 10 lbs so far, my body hair is all growing back (to the amazement/delight/disgust of my wife:D), and most importantly I don’t feel like the walking dead anymore. Back in September, I would sleep for 9 hours and wake up exhausted. Now I’m sleeping 7.5 hours but more refreshed. I can also concentrate on a task in a way I thought I had lost forever.

It’s amazing what .5 mg twice a week of a medication can do for you.

I’m back for lab tests in about 4 weeks to confirm if my prolactin levels have dropped and everything else returned to normal, but the fog has lifted!

Best,

Fins

I am actually enjoying my gradual drop in “T”. I am 67 and have had a very gradual decline in libido. I still have sex 2 or 3 times a week because thats all I have a desire for. I enjoy not thinking about sex so much. I find I am more sensitive to others and less aggressive. Overall I have no desire to increase my “T”. I am not so sure my body could handle the levels I had when I was younger.

Just wanted to say-whenever I hear this catchphrase/abbreviation it always makes me think of a suitably evil Oriental supervillian, one with a long Fu Manchu moustache who has just stolen your mojo and keeps it in a bottle next to his throne. The 500 Vials of Dr. Loh Tei…