[QUOTE=BrainGlutton]
InvisibleWombat insists it does make a big difference that she made this statement while abroad rather than at home. Does it?
[/QUOTE]
I said it made a big difference to me. I suspect that other people agree with that P.O.V., especially after reading this thread, but I wasn’t speaking for those people. What she did was legal–I just didn’t like it.
[QUOTE=BwanaBob]
People are not seeing the distinction between can’t and shouldn’t.
Of course Natalie Maines has the right to criticize the government anywhere she wants.
And I have the right to embarass my child in front of his friends. This doesn’t mean I should.
It’s just bad form.
[/QUOTE]
You understood perfectly what I was saying.
[QUOTE=Paul in Saudi]
It is not a violation of law. It is not a breech of etiquette. It does not fly in the face of tradition, morality or common sense.
[/QUOTE]
It is not a violation of the law. True. Nor does it fly in the face of tradition–there are a lot of rude people in the world. But it does fly in the face of etiquette.
If I’m having a private one-on-one discussion with someone in another country and they ask what I think of a particular American politician, I’ll tell them. Sure. But I won’t plant myself in front of an audience of thousands of people who did not come to hear my political opinions and blast my country or its government. In my opinion, it’s tacky.
[QUOTE=Ravenman]
Question for those who believe Americans shouldn’t criticize their government while abroad: During the Clinton impeachment, I lived in China. People would ask me what I thought of the whole issue. I said that the Republican-led Congress was engaging in a shameful partisan witchhunt driven by an irrational hatred of Clinton and that the effort was a shameful subordination of the Constitution to bitter partisanship.
[/QUOTE]
I was asked about it, too. I was in Mexico at the time. I said “He perjured himself. In America, people go to jail for that. He also had sex with someone in his chain of command. A school chancellor or corporate manager would lose his job for that. Clinton kept his job, didn’t go to jail, and got a $10 million book deal. In America, the law doesn’t apply the same to everyone.” (As a side note, why is it that Bush-haters always seem to support Clinton and Clinton-haters always seem to support Bush? They both should have been forced to resign!)
[QUOTE=Ravenman]
So, basically, I criticized Congress and defended the President. My questions are: Is it okay to criticize Congress while abroad? Or does the no-criticism rule only apply to the President? Or should I have pretended that I didn’t have an opinion on the matter?
[/QUOTE]
To reiterate my feeling, you can say whatever you want in private (legally, you can say whatever you want anywhere). That’s entirely different from shouting it to a crowd in a foreign country.
[QUOTE=TokyoPlayer]
It’s not a cheap shot at the President. He’s a war criminal and I’m ashamed of him.
[/QUOTE]
You’re ashamed of him. That would be a fact. “He’s a war criminal” is not. In this country, one isn’t a criminal until one is convicted of a crime.
[QUOTE=Loopydude]
Hell, no, it’s an obligation. Just imagine what the rest of the world might think if they interpreted our universal silence in their lands as tacit support of our government’s wantoness and idiocy.
[/QUOTE]
Last time I checked, CNN was beamed worldwide. I don’t think it’s any secret than many Americans disagree with the actions of the government in general and the president in specific. But I’ll repeat my point one more time: there’s a difference between one-on-one communication and standing in front of a crowd in another country and dissing our president.