ANZAC Day in Australia and New Zealand

I’m a little surprised that no one else has mentioned this yet, but today is ANZAC Day, remembering not only the landings at Gallipoli in 1915, but those who have served in any war.

My own plans to participate in one of the ANZAC Day Service Rifle Matches were thwarted by my fiancee making plans to attend a barbeque with some of her work friends, and since I couldn’t show up wearing a Sam Browne belt & holster with Webley revolver in it, and with an SMLE Mk III* over my shoulder, it meant I have to wait for the D-Day Service Rifle Match instead. :wink:

Lots of people went to the Dawn Services this year- including lots of young people, which is good- but I still wonder if they really know what it’s all about, beyond what they’ve seen in Gallipoli.

Lest We Forget, as it says.

Somehow, I doubt it. Me, I always feel a bit sad that we don’t remember Remembrance Day here as much as we do Anzac Day. The former always seems to me to have more meaning than the latter.

I didn’t attend any services, but spent the afternoon having a good ol’ natter with new friends. Good way to spend the day.

I attended the dawn service at the Cenotaph in Sydney. It was very moving, as it is every year.

Lest we forget.

Lest we forget, indeed (though I’m Aussie by choice, not by birth.)

I was shocked and horrifed at the desecration of the Bathurst War Memorial

I actually had to work today, but I got to hear my Aussie husband explaining ANZAC Day to my American child. It was pretty cool.

Cheers,
G

That’s two of us, then! :slight_smile:

We got an email from my stepson in NZ today. He and his girlfriend - early twenties - had gone to an ANZAC dawn service.

He said he found it moving - given that he is usually pretty unsentimental, there is obviously some hope for the future.

Si