AP headline: "Children's deaths in hot cars preventable"

On the other hand, there are people like me…

A few years ago, I had to grab some stuff at the store, and I had my dog with me. I rolled up the windows, locked her in the car, and went to do my shopping.

About ten minutes later, I came back out to find a woman beside my car, pulling out her cell phone, and giving me the dirtiest look she could muster.

I don’t blame her in the least, but the look on her face was priceless when I pulled the spare key from my pocket, opened the door, and she got hit in the face with a cold blast from the air conditioner that had been running on high the entire time. My dog was perfectly content, gnawing on her toy in the back seat.

Looking back on that now, and after reading some of these posts, I got lucky that I didn’t come out to find a broken window and cops all around. My 17 year old mind didn’t think like that, only about the comfort of the dog. So I guess what I’m trying to say is to hold off on breaking windows unless there’s something in distress inside.

Note: I am NOT advocating doing anything like this with a child. Even in comfortable temperatures, kids can get into a lot of trouble in a car, even if it’s not running. I speak from experience from when I was little and found out that car lighters still work even if the car isn’t running. If you cannot take your child inside with you wherever you’re headed to, then leave your child at home with someone else.

I think in IL that it is child endangerment to leave a child unattended in a car, no matter the weather. So, if you have to shop w/o Jr–leave Jr at home with a qualifed sitter.
These stories make me sick. I cannot believe the stupidity of some people. We all know how hot a car can be in a parking lot in July–why do they think that any animal or human could survive that? bah.

Being forgotten is no better than being abused or neglected–dead is dead, afterall.