Apo Naproxin (Alleve)

I’ll join in the chorus. I’ve had a bum left knee for more than 25 years. It acts up when I’ve been overly active, on my feet far too long or when there’s a major barometric shift. Alleve is the only non-narcotic pain reliever that even begins to handle the pain.

I really, really miss taking naproxen. It worked great for my arthritis, and I was taking it for years. Then I had a gastric by-pass, and NSAIDs are completely off the table now…Tylenol only…no aspirin, either. When I lost weight the arthritis pain decreased, so I didn’t miss it so much, but now the arthritis is worse, and I really, really miss naproxen. I never had any problems with it, and was taking fairly high doses.

I have several different chronic pains; each type is helped by a different pain reliever. But naproxin and acetaminophen have absolutely no effect.

Right, it’s not that good for headaches. Its the best at relieving inflammation, so it’s great on sore muscles, etc.

Aleve does nothing for me. It’s like taking m&ms. For me, it’s double-strength Vicodin supplanted with ibuprofen. Unfortunately, the side effect is I can’t eat anything spicier than tapioca, or my stomach kills me.

You guys in Canada must be getting a stronger version of Aleve than us folks Down Here. I can take 3 Aleve for my knee or back pain and it doesn’t do squat. Give me a couple Robax [which is Rx only here] and I’m good to go.

No there is a genetic component that makes aleve less than useful to many of us …

about like horking down M&Ms without the chocolaty goodness to me and mrAru :rolleyes:

I had a 9 month period where I worked out to the point of exhaustion every day, and I found Aleve was really effective at relieving general soreness, so I popped the normal dosage twice a day for 9 months. I eventually developed an extremely painful ulcer - can’t say for sure that’s the reason, but probably. I’ve been afraid to take it since, although I’d imagine it would be fine in low doses. It didn’t seem particularly good for headaches, but for general body aches it was way ahead of any other OTC pain reliever.

I used to pop this stuff daily when I had severe stomach problems. I did have an incredibly painful ulcer earlier this year but I’m unsure if Alleve was a factor or not.

Now I limit Alleve to occasional use but the most impressive thing about it, to me, is that it knocks out the pain for the entire day. It’s the only OTC that works for my menstrual cramps. It really is kind of amazing. I have a bottle in my medicine cabinet and one in my purse on me at all times.