Apologies in order to SDMB member in light of new Ilhan Omar info?

Huge chasm between a liberal newspaper posting an article simply mentioning that some fringe people on the right are questioning Obama’s citizenship, and same paper sending reporters to actively try to prove the birth certificate provided is fake.

The US media is constantly publishing reports of slanderous baseless conspiracy theories against liberal politicians. It’s more about getting the attention of readers and advertisers than it is about supporting a particular political “side”. Anyway, there are plenty of self-identified liberals who dislike Ilhan Omar, so whether or not she counts as “one of its own” is not as clear-cut as you’re trying to make out.

Well, AFAICT their “insight” doesn’t seem to amount to anything more than describing the earlier rumors without providing any actual evidence in support of them. If you have a cite for any genuine “new info” on this subject, from the Star-Tribune or any other source, feel free to provide it.

I don’t know what you’re trying to say here or how it addresses my post. I didn’t see anything in your link that provides any basis for an assertion that there are “apologies in order” to Shodan. If you think differently, I hope you’ll quote the specific part of the article that you believe supports your assertion.

The facts are the same now as when the original closed thread was made. The thread was closed for being malicious baseless absurd trolling. At least one major reputable US paper feels the exact same facts are worth looking into. No one considers what the paper printed to be out of order, and the original thread was based on the same info- why does the source alter how specific info, based on the same exact facts, is perceived?

Are you Shodan’s mommy? How about citing these facts or the ‘new info’ promised in the thread title.

Right – because Shodan implied the baseless conspiracy theory might be something more than a conspiracy theory.

I see nothing in your link that suggests the paper thinks this baseless conspiracy theory might be more than a baseless conspiracy theory. Many journalists for major newspapers (probably ones you would call “liberal”) similarly did their due diligence in trying to confirm the details about Obama’s birth certificate and place of birth when that baseless conspiracy theory was popular. This tells us nothing about whether the conspiracy theory was/is baseless or not, unless evidence is found and presented – and none has been.

Wait… if the “facts” were “malicious baseless absurd trolling” then, what new information is being presented to turn those into actual facts? None? So the article is just saying “here are the malicious baseless absurd rumors about Ilahn Omar”? And that’s enough for you to now believe that these are real facts and not “malicious baseless absurd” accusations? :dubious:

The OP hasn’t tried to even quote the parts of the link he thinks supports what he’s trying to say. I think that might say something about whether it’s complete bullshit.

I read it. The story offered nothing new. It quoted the Star Tribune story, and, as verification, quoted the Washington Examiner.

So obviously the claims are true. Because somebody said so.

Very possible left wing papers looked into it before an original valid Hawaii certificate was published. After that, no left wing papers tried to disprove the Hawaii certificate was fake.

Shodan’s thread was shut down because it was a disingenuous rant disguised as a Great Debate. If he had started it in the Pit (where it belonged, based on how he phrased his OP), it wouldn’t have been shut down. If he had presented her tax questions as a genuine debate topic in GD, with cites, it wouldn’t have been shut down. You’re reading the original discussion and the reason it was shut down incorrectly. So, please apologize.

I’d love to know what Shodan was getting ready to post in the Pit that would have gotten him a warning. Since the only thing that gets you warned in the Pit these days is actual trolling and hate speech, I’m hoping he comes back to clarify which path he was going down.

Proof you couldn’t even be arsed to even bother to open the link because the first words of the article are:
*New investigative documents released by a state agency *…

I’m not going to print the article and highlight the relevant parts and send to you, do at least something for yourself. But you just came to insult, which is fine.

No evidence has been offered to support the baseless conspiracy theory, in the article you linked to or any other. That some journalists might have looked into these baseless claims tells us nothing other than journalists sometimes ask questions to determine whether there’s something more to baseless claims than appears – in this case it appears they found nothing more.

I still have no idea what you’re trying to say. The article doesn’t support what Shodan said about Omar’s marriage in any way at all. If you think it does, please quote those parts that do. Otherwise, this appears to be a nonsense thread.

It was shut down as baseless trolling in Great Debates. If I start same thread there but cite the same facts, and quote the MST article, it would not be shut down. Or do we think the original post was originally entirely made up, and, coincidentally, there are now facts to support that something someone pulled out their arse to troll is at least feasible?

And the new info is?

Because it was trolling. He didn’t say “here is this conspiracy theory, I haven’t seen any evidence but this is out there” – he very clearly trolled (by the judgement of the moderators).

If you started a thread “Ilhan Omar conspiracy theory about her marriage” and linked to this article, and said “there’s this conspiracy theory that she married her brother, here’s an article about it, I think it might be true”, you wouldn’t be warned and your thread likely wouldn’t be shut down.

He was warned for trolling, and this article you link to doesn’t provide any excuse for trolling.

Guess what, fucknut, the paper isn’t “liberal”, that’s a label shitty Republicans drop on any media outlet that isn’t ignoring reality to gobble up Trump’s turds.

If the paper has more insight than what they printed “The search of records could neither conclusively confirm nor rebut the allegation that he is Omar’s sibling.”, then they would have fucking well printed that instead.
The SDMB has standards, unlike the vast majority of media outlets.

So its common for papers to spend time and money looking into absurdly ridiculous theories, find via research the claim was ridiculous, and then post an article stating same?

For example- ‘we looked into whether Obama committed human sacrifice to Satan to get elected. This is insane, but we spent thousands checking on it and we found it was 100% insane. Instead of being ashamed of us even looking to this, no we thought we’d publish an article announcing it’?

For popular conspiracy theories about prominent people? Yes, in my experience this is quite common.

If this were a commonly believed conspiracy theory about Obama by those who don’t like him, I would expect newspapers to look into it. Just like they did for the birther conspiracy (multiple times – they didn’t just look into it once).

His thread started as a sneering, Just-Asking-Questions bullshit rant. As I mentioned in that thread, if you started a thread like:

“There are some allegations that Omar mishandled her tax returns. I think there is merit to those allegations, and here’s my proof – <provides cites, quotes relevant sections>, etc.”

then, I would be shocked if it got shut down, and further shocked if you were warned for trolling. Just read his thread – there were several appeals from people trying to figure out what the hell he was saying, what were his actual allegations and what were just sneering, sarcastic questions. This isn’t difficult. That thread started out bullshit and stayed that way.

Why don’t you give it a try? Instead of white-knighting Shodan, why not start a reasonable thread about Omar with whatever allegations you would like us to debate? If you get warned just for that, I promise I’ll open a thread in ATMB protesting it.

N.B.: I am not a mod, so take from the above what you will.