Apologies in order to SDMB member in light of new Ilhan Omar info?

Unlike many here, I like to do my due diligence and of course read the original thread before posting- only an idiot would comment on something he hasn’t read.

I found the tone to be sarcastic but found enough thought and support in its ideas that IMO it did not meet the level of trolling.

A moderator disagreed and closed it, as is their right.

The OP then comes in on post 10 of same GD thread and details a lengthy sensible response to other posts that seems based on the facts at hand and without sarcasm.

And note, the person who closed it specifically cited ‘the part about her brother’!

Yes, they do, and the primary effect is the Proudly Ignorant saying “I heard on the news something about Obama making sacrifices to Satan! Is there *nothing *beneath that man? I heard something about that heathen Omar woman marrying her brother, too! We have to stop those America-hating, Sharia-law-imposing Muslim Democrats!”

Just reporting the fact that there’s nonsense afoot *spreads *that nonsense, no matter if it’s accompanied by reporting *that *it’s nonsense. People who won’t react that way already know or strongly suspect it’s nonsense, and that it’s manufactured for purpose of having the effect it has. How many people now think Rep. Omar married her brother just because somebody started that shit. At least we can assume Shodan’s post had no such effect here, because the rest of us all too smart for that, right? Uh, right?

According to the moderator, “the thread title and bit about her brother is pure trolling”. Nothing in your OP in this thread, or the link to the article, offers anything that would excuse or justify that. If you disagree, please quote the portion of the article you think is relevant.

My point exactly, but the opposite- most people on this board now will never think she did, even if it turns out she did, because it first came to them via a poster whose politics or whatever they don’t agree with- the entire point of the OP- facts are facts, regardless who states them first.

Stop projecting, most people on this board believe things when they’re proven to be true.

We’d rather YOU, Raven man. Shodan is useful.

The moderator clearly implied the thread was closed because it had to be trolling, the proof being the bit about her brother.

The moderator apparently did not know that was the whole point of the thread, and that there is actually some reasonable belief this may have really happened for legal reasons.

So it was closed because a person seeming not knowing the facts, and not bothering to read, saw “married her brother”, assumed it was a standard insult and closed it.

Most people on this board are most people in real life- same ones if polled would still tell you Gary Condit MUST be guilty, even though facts prove he wasn’t.

You haven’t offered “some reasonable belief this may have really happened”. Neither does the article you linked to. It refers to a baseless conspiracy theory and that’s all. That’s not “some reasonable belief”.

Please summarize the evidence for us. Or drop this nonsense. It’s up to you. Telling us “Well, if the facts were just the opposite of what they are, then you’d be wrong and I’d be right!” is not the strongest argument you can make.

Whoa, there’s a blast from the past! Maybe we can throw up a poll about the Lindbergh baby while we’re at it.

Well, it’s not the strongest argument that can be make.

It remains to be seen if it’s the strongest argument Helmut Doork is capable of.

The article does introduce at least one item of evidence. Apparently the former husband / maybe-brother posted a picture of a baby the day after Omar gave birth and wrote, “Nieces”. Though, that would seem to make it more likely that he’s her uncle rather than that he’s her brother, unless we assume that the final ‘s’ was a complete typo. Since she’s 3 years older than him, that doesn’t seem super likely, but I’m sure that it could happen.

From the Washington Examiner, it also appears to be fairly easy to prove that she never actually separated from the man who is (purportedly and probably) the father of all of her children and who is currently her legal husband.

The general indication would seem to be that she did falsely marry Elmi for immigration purposes. And I wouldn’t imagine any good reason for someone to do that unless they were family or there was a decent sum of money on offer.

With the baby photo, the balance of probability would be that Elmi is family of some kind, either a very young uncle or a brother who has been told to call himself her uncle to avoid invalidating their immigration documents.

Possibly, he’s a lost brother that they thought died?

Note, I have no idea if the below person is a respected journalist or certified nutjob, but found this. Apparently it could all be easily solved by Omar producing proof of existence of the missing individual.

Obama’s birth was questioned, he proved it. Should be simple here.

https://pjmedia.com/davidsteinberg/official-school-records-support-claims-that-rep-ilhan-omar-d-mn-married-her-brother/

You could, actually- human psychology is the same as back then- what we were told, who told us, etc. all that forms opinions that hold up, even if refuted by facts.

Not saying its true, and clearly saying I don’t care, either way, and again, not the point of the OP.

Point is same facts used in the original SMDB thread are presented by the MST now, and no one is accusing them of baseless nonsense trolling.

What makes you think the burden of proof is on the slandered?

Already been explained to you - the MST is reporting that there is a conspiracy theory afoot. They present no more evidence than you do of its being true - and can you guess why?

What do you think the papers were actually reporting when they reported that Trump (and others) were accusing Obama of not being an American?

Shodan wasn’t moderated for presenting “facts”, and the MST isn’t trolling because mentioning the existence of a conspiracy theory isn’t trolling.

As far as I can tell from reading the entire thing, that article by bottom-barrel site PJ Media doesn’t actually offer any evidence that Omar married her brother. Just a series of odd sort of insinuations.