Appliance longevity

Our 12 cf freezer was purchased in 1979 and it’s running just fine.
And we have a waffle iron from possibly the 1950s. It was my parents and still puts out good waffles.

My digital alarm clock was a graduation present. In 1975.

Oh, and the lamp was purchased in 1972, it still works fine.

When our 10 year old toaster oven died I found a 1967 Sunbeam 2-slice toaster that’s used every morning. Also we have a 1930’s Emerson oscillating fan that I “restored” mostly with lubrication and replacing a crumbly old power cord.

I’d love to get a 1930’s Monitor Top Refrigerator but my wife would kill me. :wink: A surprising number of these still work, The failure mode is often external rust.

We have an ancient Maytag gas clothes dryer. Twice in the last ten years it has stopped working. Each time, my gf was happy, “Let’s go dryer shopping!” But each time I’ve been able to troubleshoot and repair it.

I have a Kenmore washer and dryer set I bought in 1976, I have replaced timers on both of them once and a few switches here and there and a few oher misc repairs. Last time I worked on it I screwed something up on the drier tub springs, still works ok but gets a wobble now and then. Next time it breaks I won’t fix it again.

I have a working waffle iron I am guessing from the 1930’s or so. It is stainless steel and has a lacy looking pedestal. I only use it on occassion when I want to show it off.

We’ve had our stand-up freezer for 25 years. Bought it used for $100. Its probably 30-40 years old. The illustrations in the manual look like they are from the 70s

There are four, all purchased about 23 years ago and all by Kitchenaid: Stand mixer, hand mixer, blender and food processor. Of the four, I like the blender the least.

Singer sewing machine from 1971. I have an electric can opener that was my grandmother’s, and I’m guessing is late 1960s. It is actually not any easier to use than a churchkey type, so I rarely use it, but it works.

My mother has a vacuum cleaner from the 1950s. It works great. The cord has been replaced, but other than that, it’s all original.

Not an appliance, but an electric device-- my son has my old Lite Brite from the 1970s. We also have an original NES.

Again, not an appliance, but I have a pinball machine called “Lost World” that is 1977 vintage, and it works perfect. It’s also in really good condition. The top and back glass are perfect. There’s some wear on the play surface, but it doesn’t effect the actual ball-in-play.

I had a B&W TV from about 1975 that worked perfectly as of last summer, but we hadn’t used it in a long time, since we bought our first HDTV and found out that we needed two completely separate cable set-ups to support HD and SD, so we could no longer use our SDTVs unless we wanted to pay two full cable bills. The last time we moved, we threw away the B&W. We still have out color SDTV to use with the NES. That TV is about 12 years old, and came from Goodwill for $5 maybe five years ago.

Also not an appliance, but I have my grandmother’s dining room table and chairs, which are from the early 1950s.

I have several Bang & Olufsen amplifiers, tuners speakers and turntable going back as far as the 1960’s, and one valve radio going back to 1962.

My moms kitchenaid mixer is 38 years old and is used at least monthly.

My mother’s Singer sewing machine is circa early 1960s and still works fine.

Our fridge is circa late 70s-early 80s – works fine.

Ditto dryer – roughly same age.

Our old washer dated from the mid '70s. Its basket rusted out two years ago. Bought a pristine 5-year old washer from a coworker for a song which hasn’t given me one lick of trouble.

Both our oven and stove probably date from the early 70s. The microwave, sometime in the 80s. All three work fine.

Interesting that all the appliances are Kenmore.

I have a rice cooker made by Toshiba that is the very first model of automatic rice cooker ever made. My dad bought it in Japan in 1956 or 57 and I still use it a couple times a week. I used it yesterday actually. That makes it about 59 years old.

There is a picture of it here (second picture down with the silver lid).

http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/hitech/rice/rice01.html

I forgot, because it’s not electric, so I don’t think of it as an appliance, but I have a record player that you just wind. I collect 78s, and play them on a wind-up from about 1927. It works just fine. It did get overwound once, and I had to take it to a watchmaker for repair.

One night, when I lived in a cheap walk-up downtown, and everybody knew everybody, the power went out in the afternoon, and was out all night. I was playing 78s, and neighbors came over one by one, until we had a little impromptu party going. It was a really fun night. Plenty of candles, a little pot, lots of beer, and lots of people wanting to get rid of ice cream before it melted. We also discovered that if we set the speed bar all the way to high, we could get the player to play 45s. This was in 1988, or so, and some people still had 45s.

I’m sure someone had a battery-powered radio/tapedeck, but we were having fun.

A few lamps from the late 1960’s. I use a Crock Pot from the 1970’s. My Electrolux 1205 vacuum is from 1968. Used several times a week. The mini-fridge in the garage is from 1975. It’s been plugged in and running pretty much continually since then. Another Hoover vacuum from the early 1980’s. It’s used at least once a month. Several lighting fixtures in the house are original to the house, built in 1958.

Oh, and I have my grandmother’s swing machine. I don’t use it very often, but it works, and it does get used every so often. That’s probably from the 50s or maybe older. It’s stylistically very different from the ones sold in the 70s.

I forgot about my wife’s sewing machine. She got it in the 50s, I think. She saw the same model in an antique shop a few years ago and was depressed for the rest of the day.

My mother had an Electrolux she got as a wedding shower gift in 1959. The only reason we stopped using it in the early 2000s was we could no longer get the bags for it easily. The only thing we had to replace on it was the hose.

We had a microwave that lasted over 15 years. It was still working when we replaced it (we just wanted one with newer features etc.). The replacement failed within two years.

I have a Panasonic radio/cassette player that I bought here in Bangkok in June 1994. The tape-player part crapped out ages ago, but I still listen to the radio.

Our toaster we got about that time. We use it something like once every six months. I’m not completely sure if the radio or the toaster is older, but I think it’s the radio.

We have a Sunbeam waffle maker that is from the 50’s (don’t know exactly what year). It still works and is in regular use.

The oldest thing that we bought ourselves is probably my Klipsch speakers from 1981. They’ve been with us since our first apartment, and have provided the sound for more stereos and TVs than I can count.

A question for the sound aficionados… Are Klipsch speakers still considered high end equipment? Back in the day, they were seen as top of the line.