Arbery Shooting in Georgia and Citizen's Arrest [& similar shootings]

More on the Federal charges for those who are interested:

Good.
Good.
Good.

A rare moment of pride for my fellow Georgians - eleven white and one black jurors recognized a lynching for what it was, and said “Not in my town”.

So grateful for this verdict. I truly did not want to see this country have to take two blows.

Plus it’s obvious as fuck they were guilty.

Seriously. What in the living fuck?

What was the 911 call that the jury asked to be replayed?

“When the law is on your side, pound on the law.”
“When the facts are on your side, pound on the facts.”
“When neither the law nor the facts are on your side, pound on the table.”

I obviously have no idea of the jury’s thought processes, but my speculation (probably over in the MPSIMS thread) that this might backfire on the defense very badly may have turned out to be right. Or maybe it was just irrelevant. But the fact remains that the defense didn’t just lose, they were decimated; they lost on almost every charge. Bryan came out best, guilty of six of the nine charges, including three of four murder indictments. Travis McMichael, the actual shooter, guilty of everything. The jury was certainly unimpressed by most of what the defense lawyers had to say, and may have been disgusted by some of it.

Yeah, but in this case “best” is a big old lose. All he got is bragging rights since all the murder convictions equal one in sentencing. So in terms of actual time served there is not likely to be much daylight between any of the three. Bryan is 52 and he won’t be seeing daylight until he is 82, at best. Travis McMichael got 9 out of 9 - but if he isn’t sentenced to life without parole (and he might be) he should have the best chance of making it out for a few years since he is only 35. His 65 year-old dad will almost certainly die in prison (or in a hospital while dying on humane release).

Given what he was convicted of, his age, and the likely sentences, it really makes no difference. All their lives are basically over.

Considering how they ended an innocent guy’s life for no reason - good.

Will they be heroes to the Aryan Nation (or whatever) in prison?

I’ll have to speculate that a couple of very diverse groups might be fighting over these ol’ boys … with a widely divergent view of them and their actions :wink:

I’m not sure the toenail thing could really “backfire”. I imagine that anyone who would vote to convict after that was already going to vote to convict. There’s no penalty for “Vote to convict, and I’m really, really angry about it”. They were banking on having the “right sort of people” on the jury, for whom the toenail thing would be a reminder that Arbery was “the wrong sort of person”. Thankfully, they didn’t have any of that sort of juror.

We have a resident expert here on the dope, but I had a good friend (my tennis doubles partner and golfing buddy) in the 1990s who was a Physician’s Assistant at a state prison. He said that the white supremacist gangs ran one sector of the prison and were kept well away from the rest of the population. Even going to the infirmary they were segregated.

Many years after I lost regular contact with him, I found out why he was reluctant to talk about the COs in the system. Apparently the level of criminality among the COs was only marginally lower than that of the inmates.

I was listening to NPR’s coverage of the Arbery verdict driving home today. The national feed had an interview with Ahmaud Arbery’s father and the family’s attorney. The local NPR station here in Atlanta ran an interview with an attorney who trained under prosecutor Lisa Dunikoski. Both attornies mentioned the toenails remark as an appeal to racism; Ben Crump, the family’s lawyer, called it a “dogwhistle”.

This really puts the original DA’s decision not to prosecute in a harsher light.

She’s potentially looking at a few years herself and this verdict is not going to help her. She’s been indicted on charges of police obstruction and violating her oath of office. The first is a misdemeanor, but the latter is a felony punishable by 1 to 5 years. I would imagine she is sweating bullets right about now.

There won’t be a diverse group fighting over them, they will belong to one of the white gangs. The guards are mostly white and on their side so as long as they don’t run foul of the white gangs they will be fine.

They will have to do things they may not be used to, like shoving drugs up their ass but they will be protected by the guards and the white gangs. Black prisoners will have no access to them.

I wouldn’t expect them to get raped because they are old men but if they did it would be a white guy doing it not a black guy.

Don’t believe what you see in movies, white guys won’t be exposed to “Tyrone” but “Jethro” or “Billy Bob”

She is getting locked up for sure.