Archie Comics to reveal Jughead's sexual orientation

Sshhh… forget I said that. I’m just “too” paranoid.

That explains a few things.

“Whatsername” because the entire Archie line was 100% rebooted about 4 months back. Veronica just met Archie like 2 issues ago and has only met Jughead a few times in passing. That didn’t particularly bother me.

I’ve heard QUILTBAG–Queer, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans, Bisexual, Asexual, Gay–as one of the suggested variants.

I like the rebooted Archie (along with Afterlife with Archie and the extremely creepy Sabrina).

I’m bummed that Fiona Staples isn’t doing the art anymore, though. I loved her first three issues.

Jughead being asexual doesn’t surprise me at all. It was either that or gay, and they’ve already got that covered with Kevin.

Jughead’s hat is not a crown.

Closer to 8. Archie started in July, and Jughead in October.

Note that asexual doesn’t mean “doesn’t want romantic companionship at all.” It just means… doesn’t want to have sex. I have a couple asexual friends, one wants to date and cuddle, maybe closed lip kissing sometimes, but they find it hard to find someone because most people, unsurprisingly, want to have sex with a partner. They’ve taken to using a dating site geared towards asexuals. These people may well get married. Hell, they may have kids, some asexuals end up having sex just for procreation but they don’t really desire or enjoy it.

The other is content being totally alone, friendships but nothing else.

I haven’t read Archie, but it sounds like Jughead is more of the latter. (Of course, in this case it’s more of a standard comic book continuity snarl due to different writers)

Asexual is kind of just like setting a person’s libido value to a permanent zero, you may love someone but never have the desire to have sex.

One of the things that might make this make more sense is to understand that the new Archie books are ACTUALLY being targeted at high school and college aged readers. They’re not twee midcentury romances written to be strictly kid-friendly. They have a tone and style that’s more like an MTV show, but a little less self-serious and “friendlier.”

Asexuality is more accepted or, at least, discussed concept within that demo. Addressing it makes sense to me; it’s simple enough to state it and move on and it really doesn’t impact Jughead’s character.

But mentioning it helps make those who are asexual feel more included in the world. And it makes allies feel good that the aces can feel more included.

It’s actually prototypical PC, in my opinion. And that’s a good thing. Why not make people feel better when it costs so little?

Regarding his hat/crown, there’s a relevant picture in this new Slate article.

But what about Mr. Weatherbee?

Happen to be reading Vonnegut’s Deadeye Dick right now while meanwhile browsing here, and since I like to connect different activities to enrich all, I’ll relate here that the title character dreams that someday all “neuters” will come out of the closet and form a parade, and carry a banner “as wide as Fifth Avenue” bearing the simple word “EGREGIOUS” in letters four feet high (which I have not tried to do here). He goes on to explain that the word’s true definition is more interesting than usually assumed:“outside the herd”.

I like AWA too…when they deign to release an issue. Never bothered with Sabrina which I hear has also been plagued with interminable delays.

The definition (in my googling) is less “outside the herd” as an “outsider”, and more rises up from or stands out from the herd as something excellent or special.

Egregious, dude!

I’m more distracted by the fact that Jughead and the other guy switch sides from panels 3 and 4.

Isn’t Riverdale somewhere in Utah? Let’s look at the evidence:
–Archie has two girlfriends, the road to polygamy
–Almost all his friends are white
–Plenty of malt shops, not so many bars
–Everyone always dresses like it’s 30 years prior, and always has

That sort of thing tends to happen during walks. You didn’t notice they’d also moved from the hallway into the boy’s locker room?

Are there a lot of beaches in Utah? Because they seem to go to the beach a lot. The kind with waves.

I always thought New England-ish, from the Lodge-Cabot Brahmin factor in Archie and Josie. Plus, you know, witches.

Jughead’s sexual orientation never, ever crossed my mind.

Moose, OTOH…