Are Aliens Visiting Earth?

How nice of the triangular alien to have flashing nav lights.

My wife is sitting in a yellow easy chair about three meters from me, reading a Bridgerton book on her Fire tablet.

A loud fart echoes in the room. We both look at each other in surprise.

I tell her it wasn’t me. She swears it wasn’t her.

Obviously the most reasonable explanation is that an invisible alien sneaked into our house and let one rip.

I don’t think so. But considering the news of the last 12 months, nothing shocks me anymore.

Exactly. Someone must have told them to comply with FAA regulations.

The difference being is that I absolutely want it to be true that it’s aliens, despite that it probably isn’t. As opposed to the constant fear that all the latest horrible news IS true, despite wanting it to be not.

I’m drunk, I can’t tell if that made sense. But I hope you understand the gist of it.

It is stealth advertising for their hideously-designed website, linked in the “about” page.

Here’s Mick West’s bokeh explanation for the triangular night scope clip; looks good to me.

Swamp gas!

An alien civilization so incredibly advanced that it can send probes to Earth over massive light-year distance is simultaneously so sloppy that its probes are repeatedly detected by everyone from ordinary folks to military observers.

This explanation ranks with FinnAgain’s Genius Fool theory*, which states that sinister conspiracies orchestrated by government and corporate leaders with access to unlimited funds and power are readily unraveled by curious amateurs on the Internet.

*which he was mocking.
**hidden farts commonly come from dogs, which have mastered the art of Silent but Deadly.

But what did it smell like???

Uranus.

[tips hat]

No one sees the UFO’s because everyone’s staring at their phones! A Rigelian mothership could be hovering overhead and no one sees it because, hey look it’s a cat playing the piano.

Are Aliens Visiting Earth?

Not if they’re smart.

Phil Plait used to be an active user here on this message board, his username was “BadAstronomer” or something close to that.

I personally find it vastly unlikely any alien life has visited Earth, mainly because of the great distances involved and the difficulty if not impossibility of going faster than light. Plus, what percentage of alien civilizations will even give a shit about exploring? Just because we do does not mean all aliens will. It might be a very small percentage, even among the alien civilizations with the technological capability.

I’m thinking that these things are not aliens. But, don’t anthropomorphize. It may seem sloppy to you but it could be exactly the way the alien scientists wanted it.

Also, the probes they don’t want to be detected might not be. How would you know?

As the June deadline approaches for the Pentagon to release a preliminary report on UFOs, mainstream media outlets are beginning to pay closer attention to a phenomenon that can no longer be denied or prosaically explained away. Just today, The New Yorker released a comprehensive piece about how UFOs went from being the purview of fringe believers, to a rather urgent and serious subject of national security and intelligence:

The New York Post also released an interview with Luis Elizondo, the former AATIP program director. In the interview, Elizondo talks about his tenure in the secret UFO program and the toxic bureaucracy and hostility towards the subject he encountered inside the Pentagon:

The distances are ludicrously, unimaginably large, but, given the age of the galaxy, there has been plenty of time for a fleet of sub-lightspeed probes to reach every star system from a single origin.

Sure, but no-one needs to claim all alien species will explore, just some.

Anyway, the reason for not believing that aliens have visited earth is just the lack of evidence.
Evidence first, always.
And “evidence” in this case means a heck of a lot more than some mysterious lights in the sky.

That said, I think it’s a good development that the US military and others take the phenomenon seriously. But part of taking it seriously means putting the alien hypothesis to one side and follow the data.