Are any mainstream comic heroes religious?

I’m a bit of a newcomer to the X-universe, but wasn’t Storm once a god of sorts too? (Again, it’s debatable if BEING a god makes one religious)

Well, she was worshipped as one, and she at least partially bought into that worship, but she now realizes that belief in her as a god was erroneous.

–Cliffy

But it should be, dammit! You can never have enough Astro City!

As for the OP, wasn’t Cloak (of Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger) Christian?

Rethinking the OP: In Superman: Man For All Seasons by Loeb and Sale, an adolescent Clark Kent was seen seeking spiritual advice from Pastor Lindquist regarding use of his powers, in a guardedly cautious way. In that same issue, Pa Kent states in a caption box that going to church “was more Martha’s way,” so we seem to have a case where both parents compromised somewhat on rearing their adopted child in church.

I always got the impression in Cloak and Dagger that Father Deglando was far more interested in saving Dagger from Cloak, and in at least one issue I recall, likened him to a devil.

Could someone set the record straight on the religious background of the Avengers’ Triathalon, Teen Titans’ Empath, The Son of Satan and Brother Blood?

Gotcha.

As you can see, I don’t know a lot about Catholcism, or religion of any sort for that matter.

Or comic books…

Why did I even post here…?

<bows out gracefully>

:smack:

Cough The Yezidi revere the reformed Devil, contending that Lucifer repented & was redeemed, & the other Western religions never got the news. They believe in the transmigration of souls, & enough chances to get life right.

Kurt Wagner has officially become a priest. I imagine his parishioners wig when they see him.

Batman is very into oaths & such, & presumably Christian.

I think Magneto was originally supposed to be Romani, & got Judaized by a writer who didn’t realize that some non-Jews were sent to death camps (ahem!).

Most superheroes are left with their religious affiliations vague enough to be sympathetic to Catholics, Protestants, Jews, agnostics, & secular humanists. It’s very intentional.

Ain’t that the truth.

Didn’t the Punisher have some connection to the Catholic Church? I seem to recall a version of his background that says he once either was a priest or was studying to be one.

I’ve seen those religious Archie comics. The whole gang were missionaries. At least they weren’t out in left field like Chick’s comics.

Punisher, a priest? Ah, no. But there was this brief, poorly-thought out Marvel Knights mini-series retconn where he was this holy-warrior for heaven. Thankfully, Garth Ennis returned him to the status quo and barely mentioned it how stupid it was.

“Mays” are all very fine and good, but cites can put matters to rest.

From what I can tell from a Google search, Daredevil’s mother, one “Grace Murdock,” supposedly died when he was young, leaving Matt (the future Daredevil) in the care of his father.

However, a (living) character known as Sister Maggie has been “implied” to be Mr. Murdock’s mother, but she officially denies it.

So, even if that is her, I have no idea how such an arrangement is supposed to have worked out. I would have thought that even if she’d divorced Daredevil’s father, she’d still want to have some contact with her own child.

Anyway, back to the OP…well, it’s a further hijack, really. Are there any athiest or agnostic superheroes?

…Or, for that matter, are there any religious villains?

I once read a DC story where one character insisted there were no life on other planets.

I thought… well what about Superman? Martian Manhunter? etc.

I figure athiesm would work the same way. With so many characters receiving powers from God or from The Gods, it would be kind of hard to be an athiest.

In Kevin Smith’s “Visionaries” Daredevil series, its revealed that Sister Maggie is, indeed, Matt Murdock’s mom.

Well, considering he’s fought for the WWII era American Way, I’m pretty sure Captain America is a Christian.

I remember an old crossover book that had Supreme acting like a HUGE fundamentalist Christian. So much so, that he started slaughtering a mass of people on an alien planet because they worshiped a statue resembling him and not Jesus Christ.

Cyclops and Jean Grey are Christian, I’m guessing, due to the fact they had a priest at their wedding.

It’s hard to say for most characters in comics, because they deal with a lot of different gods here and there. I mean, when you’ve fought against the Greek gods, fought along side the Norse gods, and died several times over and been ressurrected by the likes of angels and shamans, it’s hard to really pick one to believe in truly, you know?

Triathlon-Dunno

Empath- No clue

Son Of Satan- In the nineties, Marvel revived alot of it’s horror titles under the Midnight Sons banner. SOS got a new series- Hellstorm, Prince Of Lies. From reading a few issues, my impression is that SOS is convinced that God exists, and that He doesn’t care about humans.

Brother Blood-I know of Brother Blood only from Who’s Who entries. AFAIK, he is the leader of a cult that worships . . .him. He believes in his own divinity in the same way Ras Al Ghul does.

Re-Magneto & The Romani
It’s my understanding that like the Thing, Magneto was always intended to be Jewish. But Kirby and Lee never mentioned this to the public. In one of the many other comic threads, there was a link to an excellent site that dissects the many references to Magneto’s personal history. One meeting with Doctor Doom involved a device that forced the wearers to relive their most painful memories. That Doom (Who most definitely is Romani, specifically Zefiro. One of the reasons he overthrew the government of Latveria was its brutalization of his people.) does not remark on Magneto being a fellow Rom, is a pretty big sign that he isn’t.

I finally found the post and the link http://www.alara.net/opeople/xbooks/magjew.html
Re-The Thing

Kirby unquestionably meant for the Thing to be a Jew. He kept a large drawing of Ben Grimm wearing a yarmulke and tallis, holding a torah. However, in the intervening decades before this information came out, various writers assumed that Grimm was Christian. There are numerous examples of Ben being Christian.

What about the non-human heroes, like the Vision and Red Tornado?

I should have asked about villians as well as heroes in order to open it up more. Well, now I’m asking! :slight_smile:

What about non-human heroes? Watch a ST:TNG epsiode where Data ponders what it means to be human and you have pretty much the same thing as what Vision and RT do (although Red Tornado is no longer an android)

In response to previous queries…both Triathlon and Raven (I assume you mean her) belonged to comic-book religions that furthered their personal plotlines.

Triathlon was a member of the Triune Understanding, a self-help movement with religious overtones. The Triune’s story developed in a long recurring plotline over 2 years of Avengers stories. The Avengers throught the Triunes were up to somthing funny, but attempts to openly investigate them led them to be publicly-branded as anti-religious bigots and they ended up to having their arms-twisted into taking Triathlon on as a new member.

Raven was raised by followers of Azarath in their other-dimensional sanctuary. I don’t think we ever saw Azarath but his/her followers were into the soul-purification/pacifism/one-with-the-universe thing. They trained Raven to deny and suppress her emotions to keep her demonic nature in check (not that that ended up working out too well.)

Probably not. The current writer retconned things to say that Kurt was never really being trained as a priest, he was being brainwashed by the Church of Humanity – lead by a nun who’d been raped by a priest and was looking for revenge on the Church – and groomed to become the Pope so that the CoH could eventually reveal him as a “demon”, fake the rapture with sabotaged communion wafers, and start a holy war.

So Nighty’s still religious, just not a priest. And my head hurts.

And yet, inexplicably, people LOVE Chuck Austen as a writer.

Agreed, though. This is one of the reasons why I quit Uncanny X-Men.

Oh, yeah: Lobo. While Lobo probably doesn’t worship anyone other than himself, he did die and go to heaven. The reason Lobo is immortal is that he was permanently banned from entering the afterlife: he really, really made a muddle of things there. And God apparently has Lobo’s sense of humor.