Are bartenders ripping me off?

falcon2, as to the markups, nothing surprises me there. But I agree you shouldn’t have to kiss up to the bartender to get decent service and the amount of liquor you’re paying for. And how does the bartender know what kind of tipper you are until after he’s made the first drink? I’d think the first drink would be strong so as to keep you drinking (and tipping);
Mojo: I live in the Md. burbs and had a friend in Adams Morgan but I’m not really into the nightlife – when this issue comes up, it’s normally when I’m with my boyfriend and we’re in bars he frequents in Md. Thanks for the input guys.

When I bartended at 8-Ball Cafe on RT 29 and RT 216, I had some customers who gave huge tips and others who didn’t tip at all. Guess who I made drinks for first and you know who got the better drinks. I had one customer who would give me $100 every Friday and that would be my tips from him till the next Friday. I always made sure he was happy. I know what it’s like to live on tips, the pay rate was a lousy $2.25 per hour so the tips paid the bills. I always tip well no matter where I go for a drink or a meal. At least a dollar per drink and waitresses always get $5 for every $20 on the bill.

Lipochrome
Member posted 06-20-99 01:24 AM

You could always bring your own liquor to the bar. The bartender will think it’s a great idea!
Anyone see that “Caught On Tape!!” special where a bartender was caught on hidden camera urinating into someone’s drink? Makes you want to stay on a bartender’s good side.

Bringing you own liquor to a bar is actually illegal and could cause the bar to lose its liquor license. Also, I’m not sure what radio station it was but they said that it was found out that that tape of th bartender urinating into a drink was made by the people who put it on the air. It was for ratings and they got in trouble for it. I don’t know if that’s true but it is a possibility.

Visit Spedrick’s Playground @ http://members.xoom.com/Spedrick/

What I love is having to give a tip to the ladies’ room “attendant”. What is she there for anyway? I can pull out my own towel. Should attendants be tipped every time you go in?

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green

Yeah, how about those women’s room attendants - I bet the men’s rooms don’t have some guy sitting around expecting tips. I think this
originated in very posh, upper crust clubs and restaurants where they have attendants in the women’s rooms who help you out when you might really need it – clean up a spill on your clothes for instance, and the average, run-of-the-mill place we hoi polloi go to decided that was a great idea and would give them an upper class touch. But yes I’ve been in clubs where the attendant handed me a towel - I tipped her but certainly not every time I went in! Don’t feel obliged to do that – I mean, what’s she going to do about it? Not hand you a towel? At least she can’t pee in your drink like the bartender.

Believe it or not, some joints (usually restaurants) really do water down the booze, the good stuff, too.

My rule is, tip huge on the first round, respectably thereafter, and they’ll treat you right.

"Bringing you own liquor to a bar is actually illegal and could cause the bar to lose its liquor license. "

It varies from state to state, and county to county. Around here, you can order a “setup” which is basically the drink without the booze. It used to be that you couldn’t order liquor by the drink here…so bars would sell you a bottle of booze, and then sell you setups so you could pour your own booze into them.

Lynn the Packrat