Are boat shoes any good for wearing on a boat?

And yes, if you have a boat you can wear them on, that’s definitely worth boasting about. :smiley:

As the leather stretches out a little from use, you can choke up a little on the laces to tighten the heel fit. Works well for that purpose

Thanks for the explanation. Even though the leather makes little sense, I think I’ll still go for it for the classic look.

I kind of bummed this was moved. I believe this to be a factual question. Plus, the old board had a statement made when your thread was moved, so you could tell where to look for it. This seems bogus to me.

I’m a dirty old hippy, so I can’t really remember the preppie look. To complete my ensemble, I think I need the following. Pink Lacoste polo shirt with popped collar, plaid Bermuda shorts, and a v-neck white long sleeved sweater wrapped around my neck that is loosely tied with the sleeves. Am I missing anything?

For boats, it is Tommy Bahama all teh way.

Definitely a boom box that’s playing yacht rock, while you drink a wine cooler. :smiley:

This. Definitely don’t get the full non-slip.

Are you saying that one should never go full non-slip?

You should really wear the socks with leather shoes. Ask Frank Zappa about it.

Nah, that’s for the shore dwellers, asea it’s Vineyard Vines.

Those were essentially what I recall being really popular when I was in grade school (late 80’s/early 90’s). And we all tied the laces in a very specific way, like this. IIRC, according to my mom, who grew up on boats, the big reason for topsiders, in addition to not scuffing anything, is that the lack of treads on the soles meant they were considerably less likely to pick up gravel.
Though it’s entirely possible I’m conflating that with bowling shoes.

I’m guessing wet fiberglass is even more slippery than wet teak.

That looks like a hell of a lot of work for what appears to defeat the purpose of tightening the fit of the shoe or maybe some kind of a joke.

I have a pair of Vibram 5-Finger shoes that have the most incredible wet grip of any shoe. The downside is that, when they get cold and wet, the cold wetness will cling to your feet as long as you have them on, more than any other shoe I have worn. And of course, people will think you are a dork.

It was the style at the time. And, unless it came apart, you only had to tie it once, as long as you leave it loose enough to get it on and off easily. It’s not like we were doing anything in these that required them to be tied any tighter than that. The kids that were that were more serious about sports (ie football at recess or basketball in gym class) would bring tennis shoes to change into.

Also, since I suppose it wasn’t very clear in my post. We weren’t wearing them because of all the time we spent on boats, we were wearing them because they were trendy at the time.

IME, it tends to be more of a confirmation that an initial reason to feel that way.

He owns a boat. I’m sure he’s getting plenty of bills.

He shoudl try to duck a few.

I wear Topsiders around the house and they are slippery AF. I cannot wear them when washing tile floors or whoops, I’ll end up on my butt.