Are Celebrities, Actors, Etc. Abandoning Tatoos?

I think that the fad is waning…as proof, I see that :
-there are now tattoo-erasure clinics opening up around the country
-tattoo shops are going out of business
-celebs seem to have fewer/less visible tats
Is this correct? Has the fad run its course?

Doesn’t look like it. From statisticbrain.com: (Dated 7-23-2012)

Americans spent $1.65 Billion on tattoos last year.
14% of Americans have at least one tattoo.
21,000 Tattoo Parlors in the USA.

Their sources: the Pew Research Center, Tattoo Finder, Vanishing Tattoo

Define fad and define “run its course”. Tattooing has been popular and mainstream for a few decades now, that’s about as much a fad as hip hop or jazz, or impressionism. Tattoo’s aren’t exactly pet rocks. I actually think the tattoo erasure clinics are going to up the number of people who get tattoo’s since they don’t seem like such a commitment anymore. Actors don’t get seen with tattoos too much because it’s a bad business investment. When your job relies on you being able to change everything about yourself at a moments notice, tattoos make life difficult, not impossible, just difficult. Musician’s, on the other hand, seem just as tatted down as ever. Same with the celebrity rich.

If you mean specific types of tattoos, well a lot of those are not popular anymore. Script tattoos are crazy popular right now though. They aren’t my cup of tea but whatever floats your boat. That said I would like to see the trend shift back to image based tattoos, but I guess that makes me an old man.

A lot of shops have been going out of business lately. In case you haven’t noticed, the economy is kinda fucked up.

There are several TV shows currently on that focus on tattoos so I don’t think the fad is over just yet.

I wish. It looks horrible. Especially when they get older.

Basically, for me, the attractiveness of tattoos is inversely proportional to the amount of skin they cover.

Actually, it seems the trend that when an actor starts, he can’t stop until his has full sleeves and torso. Especially for rockers.

The increase in tattoo erasure clinics is a response to the previous increase in getting tattoos, and does not reflect a trend for fewer tattoos. Buyer’s remorse affects all purchases, why should tattoos be any different?

Tattoo shops going out of business, is that because people want fewer tattoos, or because the economy is shaky? My area has had several restaurants go out of business, does that mean eating out is going out of style? No, it’s a reflection of the job loss in the area.

Celebs seem to have fewer visible tats? I have not noticed that.

It would be nice if tattoos were more on the wane than they have been, but I suspect that they are still pretty level with where they have been for some time.

Tattoos are going to take a generation to really go out of style, because they’re practically impossible to remove, tattoo “removal” treatments only kinda-sorta remove tattoos.

So everyone who got a tattoo as a young dumb kid is going to have a tattoo as a solid middle aged homeowner and when they’re sitting in the nursing home.

It could certainly be that in 15 years tattoos will be seen as something that old (meaning, middle aged) people have, and that young people think they’re stupid and boring. But the people who have tattoos today are going to still have them in 15 years, and 30 years, and 60 years.

Tattoos are a fad that can’t be dropped and forgotten like pet rocks, they’re pretty much permanent.

Now I just have to wait 40 years, and my tattoo-free wrinkled hide will mark me as cool and hip and edgy as I sit in the nursing home with all the other septuagenarians with tramp stamps sticking out of their Depends and butterflies on gnarled bunion-wracked feet.

Tattoos were cool, but only on the sort of people whose lifestyle precludes them from living past 55. Once the posh yuppies dove in it was all over.

Snapshot statistics like this don’t really provide answers. Is the amount of money spent on getting tattoos and the number of tattoo parlors increasing or decreasing over time? What percentage of people got tattoos in the last year and how does that percentage compare to past annual rates?

Excluding the permanence aspect, tattoos are sort of a fashion, and all fashions wane. As you state, the marker of a waning fashion is it’s adoption by the conventional middle class. Remember long hair on men, and side-burns (hippies)? In the '70s most men wore their hair longer and a lot of bankers had side-burns. How about pony tails and earrings on men? Now you only really see them on men over 60 it seems.

So, I would expect that now we see lots of suburban moms with dolphins and butterflys inked on their ankles and shoulders, and suburban dads with their inked tribal arm bands - it’s time to call it a day!

But as I said, even if everyone stopped getting new tattoos tomorrow, people who have tattoos today will still have those tattoos tomorrow.

We have to differentiate a couple things. Numbers of tattoos/numbers of people who have tattoos. Number of new tattoos. And rate of change in the number of new tattoos.

It is entirely possible, in fact likely, that even if the number of new tattoos is decreasing, the number of people who have tattoos is still increasing. Maybe we’ve eased off on the accelerator, but we’re still going ahead faster.

I have a theory about why so few men of my generation have tattoos. We grew up with WWII veterans for fathers and their cronies, who all seemed to have a souvenir of the Philippines on their arm and a hell of a lot of those were cheap and ugly, and looked even worse by the '60s when every color except bruise had faded.

Tattoos were something our dads had, and I believe the fashion will fade again once the current generation’s kids look for a way to distinguish themselves from their parents.

That’s sad.

Kelly Osbourne announced about three years ago that she was going to have her tattoos removed, after she went from Goth biker chick to fashion maven, but as far as I know, she hasn’t gone through with it. Every time I see her, she’s still got them and they’re as vivid as ever. http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-style/news/kelly-osbourne-why-im-removing-most-of-my-15-tattoos-2010610

Bryan Cranston just got a new tattoo.

Tattoos are their own category on Pinterest (alongside “Geek” and “Kids” and “Food & Drink” and 28 other categories) so people still like to get them and look at them.

There’s also a bunch of tattoo-related reality shows (yes, many on the list are off the air now but many aren’t, and they keep making new ones.) Even if the shows are about correcting bad tattoos they are still about adding ink, not removing.

One of the hottest, hippest restaurants in Cleveland - Melt (actually a small chain now) - has a promo that if you get a Melt logo tattoo you get 25% off for life. They add new people to the “crew” every week. There’s about 400 so far.

I see tattoos more now in baseball than I ever did. White guys, black guys, latino guys. It’s definitely more popular in baseball. It’s been popular for a while in the NBA. I’m not sure about football, but I’m sure those guys are all tatted up.

Just because tattoo removal places are cropping up more doesn’t mean that people aren’t getting/keeping more tattoos. It could just mean that they are affordable enough to open. Perhaps it’s not that a lot of people are sitting around saying “I wish I had a place to go to remove my tattoo” - could be there’s just a lot of people sitting around saying “We should see if people will come pay us to remove their tattoos.”

Non-sports celebs might be slowing down with the tattoos, I have no idea. But I don’t know that they’ve ever been the driving force behind the popularity of the tattoo anyway.

Just because you go to a tattoo removal place doesn’t mean you want all your tattoos removed. People often get crappy tats removed to make way for a newer, better one. They can also remove one small part of a tattoo that you’re not quite happy with and correct it.
I’m pretty sure I saw a shop here in town that advertised both tattooing and tattoo removal. I can’t remember where it was at the moment but if I see it again I’ll post a link.

My little midwestern town always seems a few years behind the trends in the big cities but tattoos are still really big here. I am seeing many more people that I would call “heavily” tattooed.

The reason for tattoos has changed. It wasn’t all that long ago that a tattoo was a rebellious act, a way to deliberately mark yourself as non-mainstream (and thus part of a different mainstream, but I digress). Nowadays, though, they don’t serve that purpose any more, and so people are getting them for different reasons. Which might cause a decrease in popularity among some demographics, but still leads to an increase overall.