Are deodorizing fabrics safe?

Are deodorizing fabrics safe?

I’ve had deodorizing tubesox for some years, and they work for a while.

I’ve got deodorizing sheets and they’re great.

Since I’m in a perpetual swamp area of Florida, sour smelling sheets used to problem, and I hate to wash them a lot because they fill a load. $2 to wash & dry.

The only thing that bothers me is the instructions to wash with bleach to “recharge” the sheet with chlorine atoms.

Has anyone tested this for safety? Does the FDA have to pass on fabrics? Or whatever group tests those fire retardant pajamas? UL?

Maybe I’ve just got more trust in the government. Yeah, I think they’re safe. I checked the FDA’s website and I didn’t see any alerts concerning tube sox.

Washing it in bleach to “recharge” the chlorine atoms just means “adding” chlorine atoms, sticking them onto the fabric. That’s how the deodorizing action works–there are chlorine atoms in amongst the fabric fibers, which act on the bacteria that cause odor. After a while they wear off and you have to add more. I believe the socks themselves are probably a special weave to enable the fabric to pick up and hold the chlorine. Regular fabrics, the chlorine would just wear off or rinse out in the final rinse.

Chlorine is just bleach–it’s perfectly safe to put bleach next to your skin (depending of course on how strong it is!) Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and you’ll be fine.

Dilbert (to two helmet-hair babes at a coctail party):
" My socks use an antimicrobial polymer to bond chlorine atoms to cotton.
I can wear these babies for days before they start to stink."

Dilbert to Dogbert:
"What was that other pick-up line we talked about?
Dogbert:
“It was ‘Hi’.”

Cecil on odor-eating socks.

There are also new socks with silver fibers. They work REALLY well, but are not cheap. Cecil should give them a try, for his dad, perhaps.