Are eggs considered "dairy"?

I’d like to know your considered opinion: do you think eggs are “dairy”? They are stored in the dairy case. They are sold at dairies.

Many debates have been had on this topic. Please help me settle it once and for all.

infomaniac

Only if they hatch cows.

Nah, they’re stored in the dairy case just cuz that’s a convenient location to keep them cold.

If we’re talking the ‘four food groups’, eggs belong in the meat group.

dair-y n. 1. a place where milk and cream are made into butter, cheese, etc. 2. a farm that produces, or a business that processes milk. 3. a store that sells milk and milk products.

Nope… don’t see that eggs fit into the definition.

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

What are eggs considered under kashrut? I can’t remember anything in Leviticus specifically mentioning them…

torq: What are eggs considered under kashrut? I can’t remember anything in Leviticus specifically mentioning them…

Eggs are in the embryo or prenatal section.

Diary is milk and it’s products only. Umm butter.

Eggs, kashrut-wise, are considered neutral, i.e., they can be eaten with either meat or milk. The Hebrew word for this is “pareve”.

Any eggs from a kosher bird are kosher, as long as they do not have any blood in them.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

Eggs are one of those annoying things like tomatos. Tomatos are, needless to say, botanically fruits but used as vegetables (same with cucumbers and whatnot). Eggs are not dairy but they are sold as if they are.