Are green-eyed cats generally more standoffish to their humans?

I don’t know if “standoffish” is the right word, actually.

For some time now, we’ve had Molly and Mia

Mia and Molly are not at all shy about coming to us when they need something, but they’re definitely less in need of being held and petted than our old boys Rocco, Shadow, or Clover were. The new cats are also significantly less friendly with each other. At least twice a day, we see Molly and Mia start a mutual licking/grooming session, which only soon devolves into a play fight, which sometimes finally winds up as a real fight.

As you can see, both these girls have green eyes, and I’m pretty sure that they’re both tabbies underneath their markings. (As cat people are aware, tabby cats don’t necessarily have the classic “tabby” look.) Mia is, definitely, because you can see the “M” marking on her forehead. We’ve had a tabby before, who exhibited similar behavioral differences to the Boys, whom we also had at the time. One thing we noticed then was that the Boys–all pointed, blue-eyed cats–would come into the bedroom to sleep, nearly every night, while the tabby would go off in another part of the house.

It often seems to me that tabbies are a little more wild and less domesticated. Is there anything to this?

ETA: Molly clearly doesn’t feel threatened or furtive around here either, know what I’m saying?

my green eyed little jellicle is an attention slut. I swear sometimes it is like she velcros herself to people.

Spectre, what kind of cat is Rocco (the one on the left)? We have his identical twin living here.

I screwed up the order of the names–actually didn’t even think to list them in the order in which they appear. That’s actually Shadow on the left, and he was more or less a mutt. We believe that Rocco, on the far right, was the father, and the mother was a pointed cat whose name was Coco and who looked more definitely Siamese. For example, she had the lighter, contrasting fur color near the roots, and Shadow had none of that. These guys were all 17 or 18 years old when this picture was taken; then we lost them all over a few months starting about two years ago. Strangely, they left this world in the reverse order; Shadow was the youngest and he went first.

Eye color in cats is linked to coat color in complex ways. Coat color has in some cases been linked to temperment.

So it is not impossible. Anecdotally my neutered male, black, green-eyed cat is very affectionate ( happily rubbing his drooling snout against my nose and face ), but only towards me. He is politely reticent with everyone else.

My Cricket is black with green eyes, and she is very affectionate - but only to me. I’m hers; she’s mine - that’s it as far as she is concerned.

Magic is a green eyed black Cornish Rex who loves anyone who will come near enough to pay attention to him.

OK I am obviously an idiot and can not read the chart. What is my fuzzbut on it? Is white with black patches considered cream, white, van or what? Her eyes are a very mossy green, the pic is reflecting at an odd angle, and look yellowish. Honest, her white hairs are dead white, the black hairs are dead black, no shading or anything.

Black or actually black p., as in the chart 9.2. Black is a dominant color and all things being equal your cat should be basic black ( actually a very, very dark brown, which you should be able to see if you ever get her in profile in a sunbeam ). The reason she isn’t is that she carries the piebald gene that overrides anything. So what you have is a black cat overlain with white spots. So black cat or black cat w/white patches = green eyes as an option, which works on that chart. :).

I would say it depends on the individual cat and how they are socialized and treated, but…a purebred designer cat with blue, orange, or yellow eyes might suffer from inbreeding and while beautiful, might not be temperamentally as easygoing as a plain old feline. (I’ve seen this with dogs, my neighbor had a very high strung airdale and a 57 Heinz variety whatsit. The airdale was snappish and high maintenance, the 57 Heinz was a plain old lovable dawg.) Green eyed cats are much more common, are more like the ‘mutts’ of the cat world with a mixture of genes, and therefore might be MORE easygoing. But then, I’ve owned Pretty Pretty Princess who was 10 pounds of pure love, and green eyed Buster, who would hardly give you the time of day.

Both of mine (Paris and Vienna) have green eyes, though Vienna’s fluctuate between green and gold. Paris it a total attention whore, to the point of being a pest . . . while it takes Vienna some time to warm up to people. All of my previous cats had gold eyes, and their personalities were very different from each other.

LOL she is about 95% white =) So that is one hell of a set of white spots =)

I miss my dearly departed Banzai. Mother was a nonflatfaced persian, Father was a classic apple headed siamese. Banzer had the most amazing long haired coat, when he was a kitten it was solid black, the skin under was black, his underfluff was black. he started going out in the sun and he turned somewhere between black and chocolate brown.

As you can tell, I love mutts )

I had a dream last night that I was carrying two cats on my head / shoulders while packing for vacation. I think one of them was Snarf at one point in time…

It’s actually one of several ways to get a white cat :). It’s possible to get a cat that is 99.9% white, with just a tell-tale scrap of color on a back foot or something to indicate that it is actually a cat of a different base color that has a humongous white spot covering most of its body.

This as opposed to dominant white cats or albinos, both of whom are white through different genetic mechanisms. And just to make it even more complicated, the Van pattern might be a derivative of dominant white, rather than the result of piebald spotting.

I have an affectionate green eyed tabby - he’s less people-centered now that he has other cats around (which has been a few years now) but he’s the most outgoing cat, and the one who will walk up to visitors.

He’s also the only one who won’t ever fight to get away from you - very polite, all “Please, if you don’t mind, I’d really like to go now, ma’am.”

I’ve got two green-eyed Russian Blues who are both very social to humans they know, three green-eyed tabbies, and one green-eyed Singapura (which is also a tabby type). One tabby is so social/loving/clingy that she will ambush visiting repairmen and try to lick their heads. One is a a big sweet loving boy but only to “his” humans–he seems shy around others. One is a sweet little girl who is skittish but getting more social toward her family. And the Singapura is a big love sponge. So anecdotally given my cats, I wouldn’t say green-eyed cats are less social than others.

That is one handsome cat. Almost the exact same splotches as on Jezi, tail and a trilobed patch on the head covering both ears and the back of her head, and maybe another square inch total of black hairs in a scattering of tiny little speckles here and there on her paws.

Is that second link the right pdf? The one I’m getting is a study of how environment influences paternity.

Not absolutely the right one, no. This would be the best reference: Pontier, D., Rioux, N. & Heizmann, A. 1995 Evidence of selection on the orange allele in the domestic cat Felis catus: the role of social structure. Oikos 73, 299^308. Unfortunately it is only available online in abstract form.

But you’ll note in the one I link to in the discussion it talks about greater ( hypothesized by Pontier ) aggression in orange males vs. non-orange males. It was just the first paper referencing that quasi-factoid I ran across ;).