Are Irish passports safer than British/American ones WRT kidnapping and terrorism?

I ask because I’ve heard it before from a number of sources and while reading up on articles such as this one while responding to another thread I was reminded of it.

So is there any reason to believe that those who travel on Irish passports are better off when encountering terrorists than American or British passport holders?

I’ve heard anecdotes (from people who’ve not been abroad for some time) that it bodes well for you at customs to produce one too, in comparison to producing a US or UK passport.

Mossad recently found that Irish passports were just fine for their terrorist activities.

So I guess you would be no better off with one if you holidayed in the Gaza Strip.

The Irish ruled against recalling 2.5 million possibly compromised passports, and I don’t blame them.

Terrorist activities include things such as blowing up buses or cafes. Anti-terrorist activities include stealthily killing those who blow up buses or cafes.

A distinction not recognised as defence in assassination by either courts, nor probably back when the British were ineptly and cruelly ruling Palestine and it was the jewish fighters blowing up stuff. The Israelis are unlikely to consider the ‘anti-terror’ activities of their legal predecessors as justified.

Of course it’s not a defense, and of course it’s an assassination. So what?

That there’s not that much difference who does what to whom. Just depends to which group one was born that defines the morality of action.

For instance, speaking of Ireland, up in the north the IRA, and INLA etc., were pretty vile: the various terrorist groups beginning with the letter ‘U’ were even nastier. That doesn’t mean that certain methods used by the security forces against such terror weren’t pretty damn terroristic themselves.
[ disclaimer I don’t care for any of the parties in Northern Ireland, nor at this period of time do I worry much about such things as happened in that past. ]

Mine probably isn’t, since it says “Place of Birth: USA”.

This is going to be a vague and poorly-referenced anecdote but I did hear some Irish journalist on Irish radio a while ago saying that he was once stopped by some unsavoury group in the Middle East whose demeanor completely changed once he produced his Irish passport and they let him go. He certainly believes it made all the difference in the world.

The Irish government also thought so when they quickly issued a passport in Ken Bigley’s name, but obviously it didn’t help him.

This is the best reason I have come up with so far for me getting a Swedish passport (having been here eleven years and learnt the language I more than fulfill the requirements). The other being voting rights, but seeing as I haven’t voted in any election since 1998(*) I’m not really that bothered. Still, I don’t “feel” like a Swede so it seems somehow wrong to claim to be one. I don’t know.

(*) before anyone has a go at me, it was a local election before I moved to Sweden. In 2001 I looked into registering to vote from abroad, realised that the paperwork was too irritating and it just didn’t get done in time. Since then I’ve never really bothered as I feel more and more divorced from the UK. In four years I lose my right to vote anyway, which seems to be a somewhat little known fact in the UK. 15 years outside the country and you have to move back before you can vote again.

I remember many years ago receiving, for who knows what reason, a letter inviting me to join a service for well heeled millionaire types (I’m not one). Among the many services they provided was your own genuine passport issued by a country that no longer exists. I recall one of them was Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). They explained that the passports were useless for actual travel, as any immigration official would know they are not valid but they were useful to hand over at hotels or to hijackers.

In certain places Irish passports could make it worse. The North West Frontier for instance since the care , humanity and consideration of the Irish Regiments was legendary.

Lots of anecdotal evidence… but even if all true at the time, I wonder if it’s still true today? Irish passports used to be a nice green, no? Nowadays they’ll presumably be burgundy, and will helpfully have “European Union” printed on the front cover. Given that the EU is stumbling towards a more prominent role en bloc in foreign affairs, I can see a dwindling advantage to having an Irish passport.

Well, Ireland has some derogations from the EU Treaty to protect its neutrality. Though some of us would question how neutral it really is anyway. You’d think if anything was going to remove the “advantage” (presuming one exists) it would be the permission given to US military to send troops and prisoners through Shannon Airport.

The whole idea is based on romantic historical notions anyway, not present reality. The journalist Phil Rees wrote about how he once got out of a sticky situation by pointing out that he was actually Welsh, not English. His would-be tormentors then asked how they could assist the cause of Welsh liberation… which hasn’t really existed as a “cause” for centuries…