Are Maps Censored in Israel?

Starting here, 'cause Israel threads always get heated…

On NPR, there was a story how, in India, it is illegal to publish maps that do not show Kashmir as part of India. “Wrong” maps get censored (or, more properly, the people publishing them can get punished.)

Someone said, “Israel does the same thing.” Do they? If a magazine got published in Israel that showed Tel Aviv as the capital, or that showed big parts belonging to Palestine or Gaza, or that didn’t even show Israel existing at all, could there be criminal penalties for such publication?

My thought was, no, Israel isn’t that fussy. But I never would have guessed that India would be that fussy either.

I apologize in advance if this thread gets nasty. (Please don’t!)

If someone publishes a map showing Mexico starting at the state of Mississippi and going west - and someone relies on that to their determent should there be responsibility? Even of some group says the real.Mexican boundry starts at Mississippi?

I am not a lawyer, especially in regards to Israeli law. But I did a little googling.

Israel doesn’t have an equivalent of the American First Amendment. The press is generally free in practice but doesn’t have its freedom guaranteed as a fundamental right.

Israel has a law that magazines and newspapers are required to have a government license to publish (but I believe this law was recently repealed). And the government has the right to censor material in the press which it feels is a threat to Israel’s security or public order. There was also a lot of unofficial censorship in which the government asked newspapers not to print certain stories and the newspapers complied. This unofficial censorship system seems to have broken down in recent decades.

Neither does England. And, just like Israel, it doesn’t suffer from lack of free speech.
(Americans are always surprised to learn that some countries are different… :slight_smile: )
The Israeli press, and Israeli map makers, are as free as every other western democracy.

Apparently, both Israeli and Palestinian textbook maps mostly omit each other, though Palestinian fantasy cartography is more blatant.

The entire country of Israel, as well as the Israeli-occupied territories of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, is shown pixelated in all mapping services, according to this Wiki on censored satellite mapping services around the world.

What does “pixelated” mean in this context? I just went to Google maps and it’s pretty clear.

This must mean that, for legal or other reasons, the resolution of commercially available satellite maps is artificially limited, so the image looks worse than the original, and sensitive sites are edited away to be replaced by natural textures. The same way topographic maps of Israel beyond a certain scale were not publically available and/or were altered.

Thank’ee most kindly! That’s what I wanted to hear. (In both connotations: my ignorance is diminished…and I’m cheered by learning this.)