Are microwave ovens banned in Russia?

So what is the deal about the dangers for people with pace makers?

I got your mikrovolnovye pechi right here. 1,445 rubles to you, comrade.

It’s interesting to consider that the term “nuking” regarding microwave ovens is a legacy of that initial period of paranoia.

That’s not the way conspiracy theories work. It’s definitely true, and any evidence to
the contrary is just part of (and proof of) the conspiracy.

Gosh. I hadn’t thought about the use of the word ‘nuking’ to describe cooking food with microwaves for a long time.

Don’t put your pace maker in the microwave?

Radio waves can cause interference to electrical devices. If you’ve ever left your cell phone near your computer, you’ll often hear your speakers “chirp” due to radio waves from the cell phone inducing currents into the audio path in the computer. Basically, any piece of metal (like the wires or circuit board traces inside an electronic device, or the leads on a pacemaker) act like an antenna, and convert the incoming radio waves into electrical signals, which can then cause the device to malfunction. I’ve seen industrial controllers crash due to someone keying a walkie-talkie next to them, and the worst case that I’ve read about is a thrust reverser on an airplane accidentally deploying due to cell phone interference, causing a crash (they tell you to turn your cell phones off for a reason, folks).

A microwave oven is just a big radio transmitter that sends all of its radio waves into a metal box instead of being connected to an antenna. While the metal box keeps most of the radio waves inside of it, some do leak out. As long as the radiated power from these leaks is small enough, it’s no biggie. Low levels of radio waves aren’t harmful (as far as we can currently tell). The heat generated by the radio waves from your cell phone is so small that it’s difficult to measure compared to the heat generated by your own body, for example. Microwaves do commonly cause interference though. Back when most folks had analog TVs, it was very common to see squiggly lines and such on your TV when you turned the microwave on nearby. These days, folks with wireless routers often lose their connection when the microwave is on, especially if the router happens to be very close to the microwave.

If your microwave knocks your laptop offline, no biggie. You’ll reconnect as soon as the microwave turns off. If you have a pacemaker, though, the electrical currents induced into its leads can cause it to fire at the wrong time, which can totally whack out your heartbeat. That’s a bit more serious.

Back in the 70s, this was much more of a problem. Big microwave ovens used in restaurants weren’t shielded very well, and leaked much higher levels of radio waves. Even so, the power level wasn’t high enough to cause damage to the cooks in the kitchen, who probably got more heat from the grills and deep fryers, but it was an increased risk to folks with pacemakers. Hence the warning signs that used to be common.

These days, improvements in the design and manufacturing of microwave ovens means that even the big ones used in restaurants don’t leak as much. Also, pacemakers have improved quite a bit, and aren’t anywhere near as sensitive to radio frequency interference. So folks with modern pacemakers really don’t need to worry so much.

I think doctors still recommend that folks with pacemakers avoid going near microwave ovens, but the risk is very small compared to what it used to be. Back in the 70s, if you had a pacemaker you really needed to be a bit paranoid about avoiding radio noise. These days, you don’t really need to worry about it.

On the other hand, I use my microwave so much, “nuking” is part of my everyday vocabulary and a word I use to describe microwave cooking without giving it a second thought.

I would recommend deflection when dealing with this individual. Whenever she brings up the microwave stuff, pipe up about dangers fluorescent lighting and fluoridated drinking water. If that doesn’t work try vaccinations.

I never felt that way, nor got the impression from others. AFAICT, any use of any form of the verb “nuke” in this way was strictly colloquial. The very verb “to nuke” itself is colloquial to begin with.

Yeahbut, it’s still fun to say… :slight_smile:

As an old guy, I have no doubt that the implication of “nuking” in a microwave was based on the belief, at least initially, by some, that there was a radiation risk. It was a brand new technology (at least for the average consumer) and it used “radiation” :eek: That said, I think it was used sarcastically and almost mockingly towards those who feared said radiation almost as early on. YMMV.

I remember early microwave ovens being called “radar ranges”. I don’t recall the word “nuke” being used with respect to microwaves until the 1980s, and the term “radar range” was long dead by then.

Was “nuke” with respect to microwaves common in the 60s and 70s and I just missed it?

Wasn’t there actually a reputable study done sometime in the not too distant past that showed that saran wrap or the film on top of microwave-able meals did in fact cause carcinogens to leak into the food being cooked? IIRC the experiments were conducted using sheets of plastic film (saran wrap) and cooking oil that was heated in a microwave.

Or was this another of those myths?

that would have been quite a surprise to Dr. Percy Spencer of Rayethon, who patented them (# 2,480,679) in 1949. His patent application actually showed them being used to pop popcorn!

It looks like the link I posted originally is no longer valid but I found a direct link(PDF) to the same paper.

It says:

but it does go on to say that using non-microwave approved plastics isn’t a good idea because they may melt into your food. Whether or not the chemicals are carcinogens, they can’t be good for you and should generally be avoided.

No, “radar range” isn’t dead. The phrase, written as one word “Radarange” was and still is the trademarked brand-name of microwave ovens made by Amana. My current microwave oven, about 3 years old, is a modern Amana Radarange.

ETA: I don’t remember specifically when I first heard the word “nuke” used this way. I kinda think it might have been around 1984.

Huh. I remember Amana Radarange commercials in the 70s but I don’t remember seeing them since. I thought the brand had died out. Guess I was wrong.

AFAICT, Quasar has died out. I don’t know that I’ve seen one of those for quite a while.

Thanks for the response. I’m old so I remember those warnings real well.