Are my existing winter tires "close enough" to fit my new car ?

My new car is a 2015 Nissan Rogue which comes with 225/60R/17 tires.

I have winter tires that were used on a 2011 Mazda6. These tires are 205/65R/16 on steel rims (not Mazda OEM rims - I mentioned this because Nissan and Mazda have difference center bore sizes which I do not think is a problem here - is it ?).

I have looked at the “tire calculator” sites and although my winter tires are not the closest match, are they close enough ?

Thank you,
bossy

First, you’ll want to make sure your bolt pattern is the same; if your Mazda has 5 and your Nissan has 6, then you might be out of luck.

If everything lines up and fits, then your 16" tires will be 3.57" smaller than your existing ones, meaning your speedometer will read faster than you’re actually going. So if your speedometer reads 30, you’ll actually be going 28.76 MPH and so on.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

I don’t have any idea about handling or whatever from going to a different tire size though.

Yes - the bolt pattern matches. I know that the winter tires are a bit smaller than recommended. What I’d like to know is if the size difference is “too much” ? Is there an industry recognized limit for an acceptable size difference ?

It’s going to be .79 inches smaller in width per tire. Stopping and turning will be degraded. We have no information on your driving skill or style.

Where are you located in relation to snow country? The Rogue comes with all-season tires (skip the snark about “no-season” tires) and front wheel or all wheel drive. Unless you’re driving off paved roads or breaking through 6"-12" of new snow each morning, the OEM tires will be fine. I say this for all the northern baby boomers who survived driving through the 60’s and 70’s with rear wheel drive, (gasp) bias ply tires, crappy brakes/steering, and archaic tread compound technology.

Whoa there. Good all-season tires can be adequate in the Great Frozen North, but good snow tires are far superior even if there’s a thin layer of fresh snow or hard packed old snow. Last year was an extreme example for sure, but the residential side roads in my Nwingland neighborhood were sometimes impassible for the average sedan with all-season tires.

My WAG is that there are probably tens of thousands of people who died in weather-related car accidents that would be prevented or less dangerous in modern cars.

ETA slightly more dramatic anecdote: during the first sleet of last winter I was literally unable to drive up the hill going into my neighborhood. Later in the season, with snow tires, there were a few times when I was able to drive up hills that were too steep and icy for other cars.

Thanks for the feedback – can we get back to question of whether these tires “close enough” for the Rogue. I know the winter tires are not the best size match but are they close enough ? Is there an industry standard for what range is acceptable ?

The centre bore is also important, as you will have a nasty time getting them balanced on the new vehicle if the bore is larger than the hub. You will need adapter rings.

Most of the research I’ve done when I shopped for new tires says that you should have no more than about 3% differential in order to preserve the handling and stock characteristics and minimize braking issues. Personally, I run my winters slightly narrower, with a taller sidewall and size down the rim size, 17 in for the summers, 16 for the winters.

With your tires you are 4.12% out which is iffy. Not saying you can’t, but I would probably sell them off and get something closer, like 205/70/16 or 215/65/16 on winter rims for your vehicle.

1010tire calculator. Tire Rack and most other places say the same thing.

Do you ever run your Rogue heavily loaded? The smaller tires may not be adequate for the Rogue which I’m assuming is heavier that the Mazda6.

Just put the tires on and drive it around. If it drives ok (including at highway speeds), well, then its ok. Your car is not a Ferrari, a slight difference in tire size won’t matter. That is assuming your car is NOT all wheel drive. If it is having two different sized pairs on the front & back could be an issue. Also make sure the rims ***really ***do fit, as this is **much **more important than the slight difference in tire size. More than just the bolt pattern, make sure they clear your brake calipers completely and make sure they fit flat against the front hubs. They’re not OEM Mazda rims but they *have *to be specifically made for some make of car (would be best if they were made for Nissan)…

My two cents is that the width of the tire (the first number - 225) can be off by plus or minus ten. I would speculate that these tires might throw off your suspension geometry to the point where you might need an alignment in order to maintain proper handling and tire wear.