Are Old Historical Multimedia CD's ever Updated?

I recall buying the Haldeman Diaries multimedia cd about 14 years ago. At the time it was cutting edge technology.
http://www.amazon.com/Haldeman-Diaries-Whitehouse-Complete-Multimedia/dp/1566730783
By todays standards, it’s very clunky and hard to navigate. The text reading software is extremely primitive. I haven’t bothered trying to install it on XP.

I’ve been trying to recall other historical or science multimedia cd’s from the early 1990’s. I know the Encyclopedia Britannica was one of the earlier cd’s. But it’s been updated several times. Can anyone think of others?

Is there any plans to update and preserve important historical multimedia cd’s?
I still remember the excitement when CD’s first came out. You could put several books on one disk. :cool: Somehow, it seems these projects have been forgotten as technology rolls on.

It all depends on if there’s a market for it.

Let me expand this question a little.

Is there any serious plans to use multimedia cd/dvd for historical or scientific study/research? Will they someday be used in college classes and even graduate studies?

I ask because the potential of multimedia is huge. Yet, it seems the cd’s I’ve seen are primitive and boring. They don’t seem geared beyond a junior high school level.

It seems like the perfect medium for say, a Freshman College Biology class. But, it seems like the opportunity is being wasted on stuff for the home market.

It will be updated if there is a market for it.

Says the parsnip who bought The New Yorker on CD 2 months before the thing came out on a flash drive. Color me irate.

Wouldn’t the CD get all scratched up when the paperboy throws it in the bushes?

“Multimedia” is a word you don’t hear often these days.

Mostly because it’s taken for granted. Everything’s multimedia now, so you don’t have to specify.

Quite a lot of stuff that used to be issued on CD-ROM is now available for researchers in online databases.

For example, as an undergraduate i looked up articles for my papers using the Historical Abstracts CD-ROM. This involved going to the library, requesting the CD from the Reference Desk, and popping it into one of the computers in the library. Only one person at a time could use the resource.

Now, universities can subscribe to Historical Abstracts online, allowing greatly expanded searching without the need for physical media.

One of my graduate professors was of the editors for the Papers of Dwight D. Eisenhower. As well as being published in multiple volumes, the whole thing is also available online, fully searchable, to individuals or institutions who pay for a subscription.

The whole physical computer media period was actually pretty short. We made the transition from plain old paper to online sources in about a decade, and those CD-ROMs of the 1990s are likely to either be converted to online access if there’s a market, or simply left as an artifact if there isn’t.

Interesting. I remember the library cd’s. They were very expensive back then. Students couldn’t afford to buy them. My university still had a lot of material on microfiche and various formats of video tape. It was all supposed to be scanned and put on cd. But, those cd’s never reached the consumer market.

I think you’re right. Online databases seem to have replaced research cds/dvds.