Are there 50 times more germs on my chopping board than on my toilet seat?

“There are 50 times more germs on your chopping board than on your toilet seat.” or something to that effect is a statement in a recent ad. Is this true?

That would depend how you clean both and the material.

Its true. That’s why I use my toilet seat as a cutting board.

Only on turd sandwich night.

I have trouble with the chopped food falling into the toilet - how do you get around that problem?

If you’re using a wood cutting board, or one that’s all beat to um… yeah, probably.

Don’t worry, though - not all microbial life is created equal. There may be many more bacteria on your cutting board, but they’re mostly harmless. (Not all “germs” are going to knock you on your ass like salmonella does.)

Hopefully, your toilet seat has more e coli on it than your cutting board does. Unless you are seriously sloppy.

Put the top cover down and chop on that. If you do drop something in the toilet, just lay it out to dry in the area behind the toilet itself. Guaranteed to get results. :eek:

Make soup.

Well the ad does show the top cover of a toilet seat being used as a chopping board.

I believe you’re supposed to rinse vegetables before eating them.

Maybe not 50x. Using the toilet seat as a chopping board would defeat the purpose. There are more germs on the board because of the raw meat you put on it.

I guess it depends on where you put your raw meat. I gotcher raw meat right here.

Yes, and pretty much none of it is going to hurt you. Well, if you started licking your chopping block or toilet or sticking them into open wounds it might, but other than that it’s just normal flora and won’t cause too many problems.

I’ve cultured my house and by far the highest concentration of E. coli was in the kitchen sink. The toilet seat had almost none.

If you step back from the basic “bathroom=gross” idea, this should be too surprising. Toilet seats are very hard, smooth surfaces, without nooks and crannies for germs to hide out in, and without standing water (assuming basic cleanliness). They’re frankly horrible places for germ cultures to survive.

A cutting board, on the other hand, is a scored, uneven surface which holds moisture and food particles unless cleaned carefully (and in the case of wooden ones, even then). It’s kept around food and other nutrient-rich environments.

To make a better comparison, don’t sample the toilet SEAT. Instead, take your sample from some place that gets moist and dirty and is rarely cleaned; say under the rim or along the waterline – then you’ll find a higher concentration of germs. (And then if you want to be really depressed, sample your own skin – the ultimate germ playground. But as others have noted, # of germs doesn’t correspond directly to likelihood of illness.)

I’d recommend some Beano. This way it becomes less of a cutting board and more of an ass support.

Maybe you could buy a toilet seat and use it only as a chopping board?

On an episode of Penn & Teller’s Bullshit, they showed that the human buttocks are relatively clean, especially in comparison with the human face and hands. And they also showed that toilet seats, which are more likely to come into contact with the buttocks, rather than, say, the anus, are also relatively clean.